tuner help and suggestions

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by parkerbro, Jun 30, 2006.

1. parkerbro

parkerbro Supporting Member

at this point in my life, i'm playing just at home, but every night. i have a boss tu-2, which is good, but never seems dead on. is that just me? i guess my question is should i spend the bucks on a strobostomp or is there something out there that is better than the tu-2 and not as expensive as the strobostomp. since i'm not playing out, it seems hard to justify. thanks!

2. nashvillesteve

nashvillesteve Member

I recently got a StroboStomp... very satisfied with it. It was costly, but the tuning accuracy is as dead-on as it gets. Very easy to use as well, try one out at a store (they're at Guitar Center and places like that now) and see how you like it, the system is great.

3. 58lespaulman

58lespaulman Member

I used to play through the TU-2 and then got the Strobostomp, and I will never look back..

4. radcliff

radcliff Member

I really like my TU-12, and until they make a Strobo where the puffy plastic doesnt peel up, and they can maybe bring that price down, I'm happy with the "industry standard" TU-12

Plus I dont have room for the strobo

5. 52ftbuddha

52ftbuddha Member

I would suggest the strobostomp before any other pedal purchase. The tu tuners and others are just not accurate. With the strobostomp you will sound better.
    Rob

6. flamed1

flamed1 Member

I too could hear the difference - Strobostomp all the way!
    Cheers!

7. John Phillips

John Phillips Member

Just a thought, since you may be doing this already, but use the Stream mode and only tune up to the note (ie if sharp, go down below the note then back up). Used this way the TU-2 seems as accurate as my other +/-1 cent tuners. If you use the Cent mode and tune both down and up to the note, it doesn't seem as accurate.

The TU-2 is on probably thousands of professionals' pedalboards as well as being by far the most popular pedal tuner... there's nothing at all wrong with it IMO.

8. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

I would actually recommend the strobostomp (or a strobe tuner of some type) for home use. If you properly intonate your guitar with one, using any decent tuner to tune will make your guitar sound 100 times better

If you REALLY do not want an SS, go for the Korg DT-10

9. JackD

JackD Gold Supporting Member

+100 on the Strobostomp!

10. Last Nerve

Last Nerve Supporting Member

The Strobostomp is a great tuner.
    The TU2 is a very good tuner.
    The Strobo is of course, more accurate.
    The TU2 is actually easier to see on stage...the Strobo is a PITA to see onstage...a real drawback.

Only two tuners I've had experience with...IMO, the Strobo is worth the extra.

11. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

odd, last nerve, I find my strobostomp is quite visible from multiple positions in a variety of settings and environments. But to each his own :BEER

12. Fifthstone

Fifthstone Member

I've never had any visibility issues with my Strobostomp either. There have been other threads about the Strobostomp. I used to think spending this much on a tuner was nuts until I got it. I do sound better now that I use it. I figure I'll keep it for life, so not a bad investment.

13. Fifthstone

Fifthstone Member

Oh, and the SS is also true bypass, which the Boss is not. I used to think the whole true bypass thing was marketing bull until I started using only true bypass pedals. For something like a tuner, which I keep first in my chain, I think this is important.

14. John Phillips

John Phillips Member

The Boss is buffered, which can also be an advantage. 'True' bypass can cause its own set of problems... try hooking up half a dozen 'true' bypass pedals and a 20' cable to the amp and see if your tone is unaffected :).

A buffer (which you don't always want first in line, depending on what your other pedals are) can really help. The TU-2 works very well as a buffer placed last before the cable to the amp, FWIW - I got a noticeable improvement in tone when I moved it there from earlier in the chain.

(I know the Peterson can be set to buffered as well, BTW.)

15. parkerbro

i'm leaning towards getting a strobostomp and would like to find one used if possible. is there more than one version that has been made? and if so, does anyone know the differences? many thanks!

16. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

AFAIK, there is one one version out.

17. squeally dan

squeally dan Member

Can you see the strbostomp on a dark stage? DOes it mute like a TU-2 so you can tune in silence on stage? Does it allow for tuning down a step? I like the TU-2 setting for that.

18. david henman

david henman Member

...i switched to the korg, which i really like, but the planet waves tuner is getting good reviews, too. the tu-2 is now a spare.

-dh

19. parkerbro

which korg did you switch to?

20. nashvillesteve

nashvillesteve Member

I really like the StroboStomp... I was using a Planet Waves string winder with a fake strobe tuner in it, before that it was a tuning fork tuned to Low E (I use the American Guild of Luthiers tuning method if not using an actual tuner)... It's accurate and fast, I want to get the contact mic for acoustic guitars as well. The little one looks cool, but for $50 less you can get the model slightly larger than the strobostomp (VS-100?), a padded bag for it and the contact mic... Besides form factor, they're all relatively the same... the tiny strobo would be great for acoustic guitars because it fits in a case, but the strobostomp can function as a DI box, so I'm glad I have that model, since I only will be buying one strobe tuner this year I'm sure!- and I can use it for DI if I get a pickup in my acoustic, pedal tuner on a board and I put a battery in it for tuning away from the pedalboard... once I get the contact mic for my acoustics, I'll have all my tuning bases covered... I got it for $145 haggling at Guitar Center...