Tuner pedals you have owned which have been fabulous or Meh ?

Telejester

I mean who hasnt owned a stack of tuner pedals. These days its the Sonic Research ST300 mini turbo tuner for me, the accuracy and ease of use makes it worth every cent. At the opposite end of the spectrum the Boss TU2 and TU3 were meh for me. Hit a note, in tune, goes flat, goes sharp, back in tune again....goes flat etc ensured the TU2 and TU3 I owned were rapidly sold on ebay to get shod of them. Same for the Korg DT10 , another tuner I found wasnt sure whether a note was flat, sharp or in tune. I owned Peterson strobes too, VSII and strobostomp, but in the end the turbo tuner is so damned good its all I use these days though I do keep a TC Polytune 3 as a backup as I find it pretty decent.
What are your experiences ?

onestop

Gold Supporting Member
Peterson Strobostomp HD = Precise but (for me) not friendly live
Boss TU-3W = Good live and love the buffer
TC Polytune 3 Mini Noir = Great live and like the buffer

Jess 1971

Silver Supporting Member
I've been a long-time Turbo Tuner user--like well more than a decade. While I generally like it, I do find myself sometimes getting frustrated with it, as it can be really difficult to dial in a perfectly accurate tuning. I find that it can take a really long time to get the dial to be perfectly still. With electric guitar, unless I'm doing a setup and adjusting intonation, pretty close is often good enough, IMO. But with the Turbo Tuner it feels like I'm never quite there. Even the act of placing my hand on the tuning pegs will pull the signal sharp depending on which guitar I'm tuning.

That said, I do like that the Turbo Tuner is true bypass.

TheoDog

Silver Supporting Member
I have owned lots and lots of tuners.
I choose and use Sonic Research Turbo st-300 and the D'Addario/Planet Waves pedal tuner.
If I need a mini size pedal tuner for a board that doesn't justify a mini Turbo tuner, the Korg Pitch black mini is what I go for.
I have a Planet Waves NS Micro headstock tuner that I rely on for acoustic playing, but I recently discovered that the Polytune clip is really very good.
I have used all the different Korg tuners- even the old boxy DT-10 that had a really good buffer, all the renditions of the Peterson pedal tuners except for the classic that looks like the old Conn strobe unit, each version of the Boss TU except for the switchless version, and every rendition of the Polytune. The only thing I have seen the Snark and other cheap clip tuners do is break.

I have come to appreciate the speed and the accuracy of the Turbo Tuner as the main go-to choice.
I like the D'addario pedal tuner and the Korg mini Ptchblack bacause of their good visibility- which is a main thing I do not like about the polytene pedals. They are not easy to read when standing for me, and the poly function not only makes the info on the tuner even smaller, but it also reduces the accuracy. I like the Poly clip because it is robust and I can see it much better when I use it on a headstock- it is actually my wife's tuner.

monty

Peterson Clip on has been fantastic for me, of course there is my trusty old Boss TU2.
The worst was the Danelectro, the food series and the larger one were terrible and I'm a fan of a bunch of danelectro pedals.

DRS

I Have a Peterson Strobostomp I use at home and a Korg Pitch Black for playing out. I like the simplicity of the Pitch Black live. I love the accuracy of the Peterson.

Yellowbird

I like the Strobostomp because it has great visual feedback and has the option for true bypass. I use it at home for setups and generally being in tune. For years I used a headstock tuner and could always tell when something was just a little sour. One string would be a few percentages flat and the next a few percentages sharp, and the headstock tuner would say You're Good! Narp. Peterson solved that. Wouldn't want another tuner.

jabps

I have two...Strobostomp on my main board. And Boss TU3w going on my smaller board. The TU3w was on the main board for a bit, good buffer and nothing like the Boss footswitch. That said since I have a mute switch on my main board I switched to the Strobo. Great tuner, accurate, easy to read but would not be on my board if I did not have a mute switch on my loop switcher. Too much latency when switching from off to on and since I do not use a gate a quick mute is a must for me. And why the TU3w will go on my smaller board that will not have a mid switching system.

Frankly no issue with either tuner except the latency on the Strobo.

hdm3

Just got the Peterson Strobostomp HD a couple of weeks ago and love it. I wanted tuning accuracy and it delivers. The screen is huge and easy to see.

Benz2112

Memba?
Gold Supporting Member
I have a Polytune mini, accurate, switchable between a decent buffer and true bypass, no issues with the footswitch.

Riffa

I have had the Digitech Hardwire tuner for ages. I like that it's true bypass and as heavy as a brick.

chanley

Gold Supporting Member
Had a korg pitch black mini for awhile, it was fine, did the job.
Have a handful of the snark clip ons floating around. I'm always pleasantly surprised by how such a cheap piece of gear can be so solid. But...I have an aversion to clip on tuners so they mostly stay in cases (with a pack of batteries of course).
I've been using the strobostomp HD since it came out and it's awesome and I love it. Mainstay on the board, (miniboard or home/big board).
I have considered the sonic research turbo recently, but just haven't really had strong enough reason to have another tuner......

Top Bottom