Tuner postion in chain

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by mikeller, Feb 17, 2008.

1. mikeller

mikeller Member

I just purchased a Dean Markley PT-13 Tuner which is a footpedal tuner with true bypass switching.

My question is this - is the a good place or a bad place to put this in the pedal chain? I have always put tuners first, but am wondering if there is any consequence to putting say in the middle of the chain?

Thanks!!!!

2. porsch8

porsch8 Member

I whad always wondered where people but them in the chain too?

3. blackba

blackba Member

I have always put mine 1st or if I have a wah, 2nd. I have thought of putting it off a pedal like a chorus or delay, but I find them pretty transparent, so I don't worry about it. I have 2 Korg DT-10 and a Peterson SS2

4. eru

eru Member

I recently built an A/B box that switches my guitar into either a tuner or everything else. I did this so I can use a korg chromatic tuner (the handheld kind) instead of spending more money on a pedal tuner. The A/B box was cheaper than any True Bypass tuner I've seen (which my A/B box is) and looks a hell of a lot better too.

5. dk123123dk

dk123123dk Member

Well that would depend on your rig. If you have any fuzzes and use the volume on your guitar to control the gain, you will want the fuzz up front.

If the pedal really is true bypass it theoretically won't matter where it is assuming its off. If you put it at the end that would prob make the most sense. That way you can mute the signal even if you still had a delay on. So if the tuner was say between your overdrives and your delay, and the delay was still on, when you pressed the tuner bypass it would only mute the signal to the delay. The original notes would continue to trail off before you would have total silence. Of course you could just turn the delay off before you tune. Plus this might actually be a cool sound, to kind of mute the signal of the guitar, then delay the rest. Who knows. The best way is to experiment with different locations and see what works for you.

dk

6. mikeller

mikeller Member

Thanks folks. The tuner is true bypass and has two outputs, one that kills the output while tuning, the other that lets it pass thru. I think I am gonna play it safe and place it first even though that will require more work of moving stuff around on the board. Thanks again

7. Dale

Dale Member

It will not matter so long as you turn the effects off before you tune. The PW tuners sometimes are noisy if at the front of the chain, and quiet at the end.

8. stinkfoot

stinkfoot Member

Personally, I think the best place for a tuner in the chain is out of it - there's no point in having circuitry there that is really only being used when the rig is supposed to be quiet :D

As eru noted, an A/B box will let you use whatever tuner you like, and still get it completely out of the chain when it is not in use. A tuner with true bypass would do the same thing, in which case I'd place it as early in the chain as possible. If it is properly wired for true bypass (or A/B, rather), it shouldn't be in a position to add any noise at all.

However, are you sure the Dean Markley really is true bypass? I recently dissected a Planet Waves tuner (also advertised as being true bypass) and even though the switch disconnects the tuner circuit (like a true bypass wiring should), there are still components left hanging in there. So the PW does not - in my book - qualify as being true bypass.

/Andreas

9. the 5cientist

the 5cientist Member

i don't recommend it, but if you do put it last, as someone mentioned please turn your delay off, otherwise you'll go crazy wondering why the tuner is freaking out as it tries to tune the note and it's trail offs at once ;)

as close to the front as you can has always been more logical in my opinion, as you are sending the cleanest guitar signal you can to not confuse it.

10. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

I either put it in a tiny (one loop looper) loop on its own, using only SEND, so it mutes no matter what the tuner is set to, the tuner reads the raw guitar signal, or right at the beginning if TB.

Anywhere else in the chain and I think it is a hassle because if you need a quick tuneup in the middle of a song, or between, it is too hectic having to turn off all pedals in between. You don't want to tune to a delayed, chorused, fuzzed, trem'ed, or anything else'd signal. You want CLEAN guitar for tuning.

11. semi-hollowbody

semi-hollowbody Member

I would search this topic on the TGP...it is ALL over the place, lots of talk about it and youll get a lot more info...
    not that anyone minds answering your post though :)

I have mine after all my distortion just before the modulation...it used to be in front of the chain but based on these threads i moved it past my fizz and compressiona and my chain sounds better...something about buffered pedals before fuzz...

also try running a cable from a pedal output you are not using, for example if you have a mono signal and one of your pedals had a stereo output just run off the rh out (the lh mono out goes to the next pedal or amp) to the tuner...the rh signal ends with the tuner and the tuner is not in the chain that goes to your amp...

12. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

All good advice, but in this case it is a true-bypass tuner he said, so it shouldn't have any impact on fuzzes.

13. mikeller

mikeller Member

I am not positive, it is advertised as such and I did read several reviews on the internet confirming that claim.

Thanks for all the input...

14. ford

ford Member

The pedalboard junction Union Station solved my "where does it go" problem.. now it just goes in it's own little loop! Red light, stop and tune, silently!

rock

bford