Tuner questions

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by gitarzilla, Oct 5, 2005.

1. gitarzilla

gitarzilla Member

In the garage, fixing stuff my kids broke
    Right now I use a Boss tuner connected to the tuner out of my volume pedal. I'm thinking of losing the volume pedal and wanted to get a Peterson Strobe-o-stomp since it's true bypass. But after researching the Peterson, it seems that it is not a chromatic tuner, which I need since I play slide in open tunings. So, does anyone know if the Peterson can function as a chromatic tuner or does anyone know of a true-bypass chromatic tuner? Thanks.

2. rhys

rhys Supporting Member

no, its chromatic. it has offsets for normal guitar tuning, buzz feiten tuning etc. with the offsets the ss is set up to tune certain notes off by a few cents--in other words it tempers your tuning. but in the equal temp offset it does straight 440 and it hones in on the note closest to the one you're playing. should work great for alt. tunings.

3. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

Get it. It does everything the boss one does, and way more. I feel dirty just mentioning them in the same sentence

Also, you can program up to 2 custom tunings into it

4. gitarzilla

gitarzilla Member

In the garage, fixing stuff my kids broke
    THanks you guys. Is programming it pretty easy? Is it pretty easy to toggle to the tunings on the fly?

5. Souled Out

Souled Out Member

just get the Strobostomp and don't look back, at your wallet

6. jlearman

jlearman Member

I have the Korg DT-10. I think it's great...simple, smooth response, chromatic, and true bypass. I'd never buy anything else that Korg makes....but they seem to do tuners very well.

7. rhys

rhys Supporting Member

programming it is easy enough, but switching b/w presets on the fly doesn't happen--you use two small buttons to scroll through menus and you can't really do it with out bending down to the tuner. but i don't see why you'd need to unless you had this certain tempered setting you always use for open g, for example, and another for open e or whatever.

with the tuner on equal temp you can go from dadgad to open g to anything you want without changing the presets b/c its chromatic and will tune to any note.

8. fuzzface

fuzzface Active Member

BTW where is the peterson stomp tuner available at the lowest price (new)?

9. John Thigpen

John Thigpen Member

You simply don't see them for sale for less than $189, which is MAP.

But I got one for about $140 by using a 25% off coupon from Sam Ash. They've been sending out discount coupons regularly all summer, and I think I got a 15% off just last week. Something similar may work at Guitar Center.

John

10. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

I was lucky enough to buy mine off ebay. Forget what I paid for it, but it was a little less than 189

11. dinrodef

dinrodef Guest

the peterson tuner... quite possibly the single best gear purchase I've ever made

12. erksin

erksin Member

There's a guy selling them for Rainbow Guitars (of Tucson AZ) on eBay for $179 shipped Priority Mail - that's where I got mine...