Tuner Recommendation

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by RMosack, Jul 15, 2019.

1. RMosack

RMosack Supporting Member

I just finished putting together a partscaster Tele. It has one of two sets of TonePros Kluson locking tuners that I bought on clearance from Stew-Mac a couple years ago. I'm looking to replace the tuners.

First off, after having tried them in another guitar, I'm not a huge fan to begin with. Secondly, the high E tuner on this set cuts off any string I put into it. Probably a burr. But given the crazy design, not worth fixing. So I'm looking at replacements.

Headstock is reamed with the fairly modern standard 13/32" (10mm) holes, so multiple candidates are in play. It's a normal six on a side type Fender headstock. I'm down to two choices:

1) Hipshot Grip-Lock Open Gear 6-In-Line Staggered

2) Kluson 6-In-Line Locking Revolution Series H-Mount

Does anybody have familiarity with these? Hopefully some can point out some pros or cons for each.

Thank you in advance for anyone that replies.

- Robert

2. testing1two

testing1two Gold Supporting Member

I use both Hipshots and Kluson Revolution tuners. They are both great, smooth, high ratio tuners that use the same type of thumbwheel locking mechanism. If you use the Hipshot, you'll probably want to use their universal mounting plate to help cover up the footprints left behind by the old tuners. The Kluson Revolution tuners should be a perfect retrofit. Also, I was not able to find the Hipshot tuners with the oval buttons so I had to buy the buttons separately.

3. BluntForceTrauma

BluntForceTrauma Member

Hipshot Locking Staggered. I just put a set on my Squier Tele. $51.95 on reverb.

4. RMosack

Thank you both (@testing1two and @BluntForceTrauma) for your responses. I'm glad to hear that both seem to work well. So far, it looks like there are some pros for each one

BOTH:
    - locking
    - smooth
    - no known issues (so far, maybe more responses coming)

KLUSON:
    - same screw pattern, so no new drilling or empty old screw holes

HIPSHOT:
    - staggered post holes
    - mounting plate means I can cover the existing holes anyway

5. RMosack

Wow, that's significantly cheaper than what I saw at Stew-Mac. Price was one of the bigger advantages for the Hipshot, which surprised me.

Edit: Scratch that. I confused the two brands. It's the Klusons which were aroung $90 at Stew-Mac. Sorry.

6. testing1two

There's a seller on Reverb called SportHiTech that has a big Hipshot selection. I think the sets are $55-$65 depending on the version you're after. They also have the Klusons for $96, which is as cheap as I've seen them.

The Hipshot mounting plate will help cover most of the screw holes but not all of them. There will be one exposed hole on each end of the headstock and you will probably see the impression the old tuner plate.

You can see what I mean here:

RMosack likes this.
  7. BluntForceTrauma

BluntForceTrauma Member

RMosack likes this.
  8. BluntForceTrauma

BluntForceTrauma Member

Notice that in this video the guy has installed the UMP plates wrong. The lower plate goes under the upper plate.

RMosack likes this.
  9. testing1two

yeah, it's a crap video but it was only to illustrate the visible footprint of the old tuners.

10. RMosack

You mean on that Les Paul? The plate for the E and A string should be under the plate for the A and D string?

11. testing1two

I was only referring to the section from about 2:30 to 3:30 on the Fender headstock where you can see the UMP doesn't quite cover all of the imprint and mounting holes from the old tuners.

12. BluntForceTrauma

BluntForceTrauma Member

Yes. As well as the G and B should be above the High E plate.
    https://hipshotproducts.com/search?q=Universal+Mount+Plate
    Here are the instructions that came with my tuners.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 15, 2019