Tuner that is always on when playing

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Roe, May 27, 2015.

1. Roe

Roe Member

Can you recommend a good tuner that is always on when playing so I don't have to mute the guitar to use the tuner (although I also want to be able to mute the guitar while tuning).

I'm either looking for something like the strobostomp which includes a buffer mode where the tuner is always on with the option of muting the signal while tuning. OR I'm considering using a buffer with mute switch early in the chain that splits the signal to the tuner. (The last option seems best, although the former may be more practical)

2. NHBluesMan

NHBluesMan Member

Boss TU2 or 3 using the 'bypass' jack, put it before a volume pedal in your signal chain and you're good to go

3. slap_back05

slap_back05 Supporting Member

What NHBluesMan recommended will work if you have a VP. If not, the buffer route may be the best way to go. The Boss will allow you to either mute and tune or play through and tune, but not both selectable. I don't know of any that have that as selectable (except apparently the Stobostomp you mention).

I run my tuner in the dry out of my Micro POG, and it's all pre volume pedal, so it works all the time.

4. bigdeal

bigdeal Member

use an aby box with the "a" side going through to the rest of your pedals and amp, and the "b" side going to any tuner of your choice. when both signals are active or "y", you will hear your guitar and see your tuner working. when you select "b only" your signal to the amp will be muted.

or you could use a headstock tuner and a normal "mutes when tuning" tuner pedal inline. depending on the rest of your rig you could use an always active tuner from an effects send or slave out or the second input of a fender or something. not every effects loop will work with a cable plugged into the send without it going back to the return though.

5. Roe

Roe Member

it seems that the best solution, soundwise and technically, would be to use first a buffer with two outputs and a mute switch (e.g. Durham buff master pre) and then a good tuner (e.g. turbotuner). This way you only have the mute switch in the signal path, not the tuner with jacks and cables. And the tuner will work all of the time, not just when you mute the signal.

Its not the most convenient solution but it seems better in terms of keeping the signal path clean and simple and being able to use the tuner while playing (w/o muting)

6. superdave2001

superdave2001 Supporting Member

Good idea. Only issue with this one is that when you are using it in Y mode, you are splitting your signal...potentially halving the strength, unless you use a good - and therefore more expensive - active ABY.

7. radicool

radicool Member

One of my volume pedals, an Ernie Ball VP Junior, has a separate output that is always on and not effected by the foot pedal, ideal for a tuner.

8. eric46405

eric46405 Member

Why does it need to be so complex? No need to complicate it. Get a TU-2 or TU-3, put it first in the chain and run through the "bypass out".

9. jnepo1

jnepo1 Silver Supporting Member

Actually, it has to be a 1 in/2 out buffer set-up for this two work. Then the mute would go post buffer of the signal to the pedalboard. The buffer needs to split the signal into both the pedalboard out and to the tuner fro both to be functional without any tone suck. This will allow the tuner to be "always on" while also being able to mute the signal when you want to silent tune. You would need to take the buffer signal for the pedalboard and connect it to the 3DPDT and from there, the "A" side will connect to the output jack for the pedalboard and the "B" side, you would ground it to the enclosure so there will be no noise issues when you mute the signal for tuning.

Testing123 and Roe like this.
  10. jordane93

jordane93 Member

11. Fu Schnickens

Fu Schnickens Member

Yeah, post #9...screw that. As mentioned, the simplest way to achieve what the poster wants is a volume pedal with a separate tuner output. I use an Ernie Ball volume and TC polytune mini, always on. Step on the volume to mute or not. Has no effect on tuner, only gtr signal. Don't worry about "halving" your signal. It doesn't work like that and, besides, you won't notice any difference.

Or TU-2 w/bypass.

12. jnepo1

jnepo1 Silver Supporting Member

Possibly the OP is not looking for a volume pedal.

Read his post on #5.

Roe likes this.
  13. Bluesful

Bluesful Supporting Member

I used my TU2 like this with the bypass jack. Works fine.

14. Roe

Roe Member

yes, that's exactly what I've been thinking (although I can probably do a mute switch w/o 3dpt)

15. Roe

Roe Member

yes, I never use volume pedals. I want to keep my board as small and simple as possible with a clean signal path. (I do use the guitar vols a lot though)

16. Roe

Roe Member

It's not that complex. I use a strobostomp2 now instead of tu2/3 - it works ok. But the more complex solution seems preferable technically

17. bigdeal

bigdeal Member

you could build a really small killswitch pedal to put after the always on tuner? or maybe flip your amp to standby when you want to tune silently? not sure about the rest of your environment or rig. i use wireless systems and run my always on tuner on an aux out from there, i had a footswitchable killswitch feature added to the input of my amp when i had it built

18. Guinness Lad

Guinness Lad Silver Supporting Member

Use a strobostomp, when it's off you pass signal, when it's on the signal is mute. Not sure why this is complicated for you. The Peterson is a much better product than the Boss stuff.

19. Roe

Roe Member

I'm using a peterson strobostomp now. its ok but the turbotuner and pre master buff combo seems better for the reasons mentioned above

20. PurpleJesus

PurpleJesus Gold Supporting Member Silver Supporting Member

This.