Tuners for a Melody Maker?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Link Ramone, Feb 24, 2015.

1. Link Ramone

Link Ramone Member

Hi gang. I picked up a 2011 Melody Maker a few weeks ago for something different. It's a fun little player that sounds great, but I'm not digging the Kluson "bean button" tuners. Not the most stable. Anyone swap out the tuners on their MM? If so, for what? I like locking, but it's not a requirement. Basically I'm looking for least labor-intensive upgrade, since I'm much better at breaking things than I am at putting them together. Style is garage/punk/surf but with some pretty big bends. Thanks!

2. Boris Bubbanov

Boris Bubbanov Member

Gotoh splits, 3 x 3 with 10 mm conversion bushes, on a 2008 or 2009 MM.

[​IMG]

Totally resolved all stability issues. The post is effectively lower and the point of departure from the post is low enough to turn an average nut into a boutique one.

With 12-54s the intonation is astonishing.

The negative is the smaller diameter bush exposes some marring left by the big hex style bushes.

[​IMG]

The stock plastic ones were IMO awful. These are metal; top drawer materials and workmanship. Great feel.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2015
  3. reversedelay

reversedelay Member

I have a Melody Maker special that came stock with the Gibson Deluxe tuners. Maybe throw a set of them on?

4. Link Ramone

Link Ramone Member

Thanks for the excellent photo reply BB. Looks like they run in the $50-60 range, so that's totally doable.

5. Link Ramone

Link Ramone Member

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll check those out too. Seems like they're in the same price range.

6. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Member

It's the nut. Fix it first before any tuner swap or you'll just have the same old tuning stability problems.

7. reversedelay

reversedelay Member

Great suggestion! Perhaps taking it to a luthier would be the cheapest solution. It may very well be the nut, and an easy fix for a competent luthier. Something to consider before you go swapping tuners.

8. treeofpain

treeofpain Supporting Member

Tuning issues - assuming the guitar is functionally sound with decent strings - almost always originate at the nut, not the tuners.

9. Link Ramone

Link Ramone Member

Yes it's functionally sound. Truth is I hadn't really considered the nut since it appears to be pretty well cut and playability is otherwise great. I reckon I better bring it to my guy to check out before I do anything crazy on my own. Thanks again.