• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Tuners on a Lincoln Brewster strat...

Blueswede

Platinum Supporting Member
So in 2019 I picked up a LB strat for a really good price. I am a big fan of LB and his signature strat had a lot of very cool features. I have been playing it quite a lot lately....my only concern is the standard tuners. They just seem a bit stiff and I’m constantly tuning it. Has anyone changed out the tuners for locking ones? If so, which ones did you use? I’m open to suggestions.....thanks.

cap10kirk

The tuners themselves are almost never the cause of tuning problems. You either have a nut that needs to be fixed, or it's user error causing the problem. The guitar already has locking tuners on it too.

Cali234

Are you stringing it right, it comes stock with vintage locking tuners. Pull the string through tight and wind till they catch and lock shouldn't wrap them like standard tuners maybe that's what's causing you issues.

Golem

Silver Supporting Member
I have a Lincoln Brewster I got used. It has very stiff tuners as well. Really it's the only negative I found. If it annoys me enough I'd switch to Gotoh or Klusons Locking Tuners with the the thumbwheels. Both are really good options and the Klusons or only slightly more expensive.

Edit: I have a friend whose a decent tech in addition to being great at winding pickups and working amps. I'll see if I can take it by him and see if there's a way to make these less stiff.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 185106

If you didn't know that the tuners on there are locking, you probably have them strung wrong. The non-thumbwheel locking tuners are pretty sensitive to stringing approach, and if you do it incorrectly they do all sorts of weird stuff.

Blueswede

Yes they are locking tuners. I changed the strings yesterday. Not real impressed with how they function. I have a couple of other guitars with locking tuners that have the thumb screws that work so much better, IMO. I’m thinking of swapping the Fenders out to a different style. Just my preference.

bluesky636

It took two years to decide you don't like the tuners? Lots of good advice here that you should listen to.

Blueswede

Why is it a concern to you how long I've had it? How about contributing something actually useful? Have you never changed your mind or had a different opinion on something after a while?
Just so you know, yesterday was the first time that I changed the strings as they were new when I bought it. I have recently started playing it more in the last month. Besides, got it at the end of 2019 so technically it has not been 2 years.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom