tuners?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by tbone666, Aug 4, 2008.

1. tbone666

tbone666 Supporting Member

i've got a TU-2 which suits me fine, but i need to get my bass player a tuner, do i give him that and buy the hip no product? or do i instruct him and keep the TU-2?

i've seen a lot of posting about the pitchblack blah blah blah, and i want the best for myself - the bass player......not so picky.

any other suggestions?

thanks all -

-T

2. pipedwho

pipedwho Member

TU-2 goes to the bass guy, and you get either a Korg PB or the new TurboTuner ST-200.

3. jb1911

jb1911 Member

^^^What he said.^^^

4. fendergeek

fendergeek Member

+1. What they said!

5. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

+2. The Turbo-Tuner blows them all away, but if you absolutely cannot spend the cash, the Pitchblack is a nice product

6. squeally dan

squeally dan Member

Are the pitchblack and turbo tuner a lot more accurate than the Boss TU-2? I also use the boss and am thinking of upgrading.

7. pipedwho

pipedwho Member

Yes.

8. Pavel

Pavel Member

The turbo especially. Their accuracy ratings are something like the following. Boss: +/- 3.0 cents, Korg: +/- 1.0 cents, Turbo: +/- 0.02 cents!

9. squeally dan

squeally dan Member

I wonder how noticeable the difference is, especially between1.0 and .02.

10. jcat

jcat Member

Certain people on certain days in certain lighting conditions on various guitars with different gauge strings playing in different bands doing different music with a variety of tunings use PB's or Petersons or TU-2"s. Or a pedal Turbo-tuner.

11. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

in general, you mean. :D

12. derekd

derekd Supporting Member

Every year there seems to be a new kid on the block with regard to tuners. While many have cool features and claim to be more accurate, the TU-2 has stayed on my board for 10+ years. No issues, does what I need it to do, and a replacement (eventually I guess) is pretty cheap.

Everyone in my band uses one.

13. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

hate to scratch open old wounds, but I doubt that anyone that uses a TU-2 can deny that a lot of times after tuning with one, they have to fine tune by ear. If you have to do this, imho, you're being underserved. When I used a TU-2, I thought fine tuning by ear after my tuner said I was in tune was par for the course with tuners (misinformation that I believe is held by many musicians and thereby contributes to some of the elitism concerning tuning via electronic tuner vs tuning by ear).

When I upgraded to a strobostomp, I realized how wrong I was. Even with my handheld Korg GA-30 (+/- 1 cent), I don't have to fine tune after my tuner says I'm in tune (of course, this is when my guitar is properly intonated, which I do with my strobostomp).

Boss is a great company, but +/- 3 cents is way too inaccurate for my ears, and I'm not alone here. There is no excuse not to upgrade to at least +/- 1 cent (no matter which brand. Heck, get a Boss TU-12).

Last edited: Aug 7, 2008
  14. burchyk

burchyk Member

I own pitchblack, it has true bypass (a big plus for me), pedal format (handsfree on/off), small/light for a pedal, nice big easy to read display, fairly accurate. Me likes. I would like it even more if it was a little bit more accurate but i'm nitpicking here. I dont understand how people can live with +-3 cents, its like 6 cent note diff in extreme cases, which sounds damn out of tune

15. jcat

jcat Member

Pretty much,... yeah.

joe