tunes, by way of introduction

Discussion in 'Member Video and Sound Clips' started by zenpicker, Jun 22, 2005.

1. zenpicker

zenpicker Member

Having just joined this board I figured I'd post a link to some of my tunes by way of a musical introduction. It's a mix of stuff, some acoustic, some electric, but it gives you a snapshot of what I do these days.

http://home.comcast.net/~casademel/html/eh_music.html

Since there seem to be lots of fairly sophisticated recordists/engineers here, any comments on how to improve the quality of the recordings would be enthusiastically received. And of course comments on the music are also welcome! Constructive criticism is a wonderful thing.

Best, all -

2. allthumbs

allthumbs Member

3. lhallam

lhallam Member

4. Jim Soloway

Jim Soloway Supporting Member

Very nice. I really like the pieces of the acoustic suite.

5. zenpicker

zenpicker Member

Thanks, all. I will be posting a *complete* version of the suite in the next week or so. There was one missing piece and now I've got it. Have a little backlog of three more originals to finish recording and posting as well. So, more to come.

Thanks for having a listen!

Also - gorgeous sounding guitars you make, Jim -

And lhallam, love the Jungian tag line. Why didn't I think of that?

6. Woodyworld

Woodyworld Member

Welcome to the board Edward. Really like the acoustic set in particular. Brought back great memories of seeing Tommy Emmanuel. Orginal tunes too? - I take my hat off to you

Please keep on posting

7. zenpicker

zenpicker Member

That's quite an outsized compliment in light of my humble efforts and puny output, but thanks just the same. I hope I can live up to your kind comparison one day. :eek:

I've finally been getting more familiar with Tommy (only knew him through the album he did with Chet Atkins) and he is just so impressive. Great ear, great chops, great musicality. So much heart in his playing.

8. Roach

Roach Supporting Member

You captured a really sweet sound. Can you tell us what mics you used and how you placed them? How about the preamps?

Nicely done...playing, tone, composition...you have it all.

9. zenpicker

zenpicker Member

Well thanks so much, again. You all are too kind.

As for gear and recording setup....I posted a long blurb on that in another forum. I think this link will work, but tell me if not and I'll paste the text into a followup here.

http://cmoore.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2078&highlight=

Rereading it now, the one thing I'd alter is that I am now somewhat preferring the MXL condensor mike pair over the Behringer B1. At the time I posted that thread I'd just gotten the MXLs and hadn't put many road miles on them. There are FAR better condensors than either the B1 or the MXLs, of course, but these fit my budget and haven't done badly. Actually, a lot of the older recordings on my page were done with a pair of old small-diaphragm Nakamichis that got surprisingly good sound. I still pull 'em out from time to time.

One day I will have Neumanns....I hope. I see them on eBay regularly. But I'd have to upgrade my preamp etc. to do them justice, so it quickly becomes a $3000+ proposition. For that I'd like a nice new (actually old) guitar, please....

HTH.