Tung-Sol 6V6 quality issues

Xlch721

Has anyone else here had or heard of Tung-sol 6v6 problems or issues. I have a DRRI and I really like the sound of these tubes but my amp just seems to burn these things right up. This is the second set in less than 3 weeks. I have the amp biased to 19.1 and 19.5 miliamps at 428 vdc this comes out to about 70% with the stock rectifier tube. I can put the factory GT #7 6V6-s in or my other set of JJ 6V6s #24 in and run them at 25 to 30 ma at 420 to 425 vdc and they hold up just fine. The JJ's are going back in for now until I can get things sorted out. Should I change the rectifier tube to drop some voltage and get the Tung-sols replaced? Or should I just say the heck with it and move on to something else like Phillips, Sylvania or GE Jan tubes or bite the bullet and get a set of RCA or Brimars. I'm open to suggestions at this point but I have never in all my years had this many issues with one brand of tubes.

EFK

My experience, others may vary, is that they can not take the higher blackface voltages. If kept to lower voltges, i.e. under around 350 plate/screen, they seem to hold up just fine and sound great regardless of bias. I would move on and stick to JJ or any other brand which does not give you such problems, because at 425+ plate, these will continue to do so regardless of where you bias them.

slider313

Silver Supporting Member
Check the mfg codes. Are both sets from the same batch? Sometimes a certain production run has issues. Ask for a replacement from a different batch.

FWIW, I've been running a set in my original '65 Deluxe Reverb for over two years without a problem.

jazzguitar

I've had some in my '66 DR and '66 PR for the last year and a half without issue. Both biased right around 21-22ma and over 410v on the plates.

EFK

Well I want to buy them where you guys are buying them!!!!!

So seriously. Where are you buying them?

frankencat

Guitarded
Silver Supporting Member
I bought two sets from Antique and they both red-plated after about an hour in my (then) Tweaker 15. They did sound good though and I have been tempted to try a set in my SS22. I would order them from Doug's if I decide to try again. For now I have a set of JJ's in there that sound very good.

Tone Meister

...FWIW, I've been running a set in my original '65 Deluxe Reverb for over two years without a problem.
I've been running a pair very hard in my SF Deluxe Reverb @ ~445 volts since 2010. Easily 40-50 gigs with the volume about 5-6 most of the time. I have another pair in a second SFDR with a slightly higher voltage but only since January of this year. So far, so good (knock on wood)

Tone Meister

Well I want to buy them where you guys are buying them!!!!!

So seriously. Where are you buying them?
Buy them from Mojotone and pay the extra $1.50 for tube matching. They will burn them in first, and then match them, and that weeds out the duds. Never had a failure from any tubes from Mojotone.

Figaro

Supporting Member
I've had some Tung Sol and also EH 6V6s that redplated in my Samamp VAC23. It runs 6V6s hard on it's 23 watt setting. I now use JJ 6V6s with no problems and I also prefer their sound.

Blue Strat

Buy them from Mojotone and pay the extra $1.50 for tube matching. They will burn them in first, and then match them, and that weeds out the duds. Never had a failure from any tubes from Mojotone.
Mojotone isn't the only vendor who burns in and tests/matches.

Bad batches are bad batches. When they happen, it doesn't matter who you get them from. Blame the manufacturer.

Tone Meister

Mojotone isn't the only vendor who burns in and tests/matches.

Bad batches are bad batches. When they happen, it doesn't matter who you get them from. Blame the manufacturer.

Yeah, when I wrote that it wasn't in any way a slight toward any vendor, and my comment was in no way related to the post above it, which I saw after I posted my own comment. I am one who has never had any real bad luck buying tubes with the exception of a single distributor and only in the last several months. (bad batches, yes indeed)

In saying I've never had a bad tube from Mojotone (and add Eurotubes), I am not implying that any other vendor is inferior, only that I've never had one go bad from either vendor. That is meant simply as a positive comment toward them and not as a negative comment toward any other vendor.

Sorry it didn't come across that way Mike. :beer

ledger

I had nothing but problems with the new Tung Sol 6V6GT with my Mission 5E3.
I ordered a matched pair from Doug's Tubes & another matched pair from Ebay.
For some reason when playing certain notes on the treble strings I would get static noise through the amp. This would only happen when using these tubes. It's too bad cause I really liked the sound of the tubes minus the static.

I returned the tubes from Ebay for a refund. Doug's Tubes ended up sending a replacement tube with the same issues & I should have returned them but I didn't want to bother anymore!

I sent an email directly to the manufacturer and this was the tech's response, "We have very few problems with the Tung-Sol 6V6GT. It is possible that you might have a microphonic tube. You can tapp on the tubes while amplifier is on to detect a microphonic tube.

Well that was my first & last experience with the new TS6V6.
Good luck.

Blue Strat

I don't think they respond well to being run over their maximum specs which is what every 5E3 I've ever seen, does.

ked

I had a set of Tungsol 6V6's with less than 25 hrs. on them replate and burn up in a Tweaker 15.

jazzguitar

Hahaha, well I should have never opened my big mouth! I just sat down to practice through my Princeton Reverb and after a couple of minutes I get a persistent hum so I look in the back and one of the Tung Sol 6v6s is red plating. It sucks as they sound really great but I guess longevity is not their strong suit. Back to JJ I go. :jo

phsyconoodler

don't think they respond well to being run over their maximum specs which is what every 5E3 I've ever seen, does.
Hmm. They run pretty hard in a Deluxe Reverb with over 400v.Most Tweed Deluxe amps are well under 400v.They obviously have factory quality control issues.They can't take the current or the voltage it seems.Some not all.
I have had nothing but trouble with new Tung Sol tubes over the years.
Too bad they aren't as good as the originals were.I still have an original Tung Sol 12Ax7 still in service in one of my amps.

Xlch721

Hahaha, well I should have never opened my big mouth! I just sat down to practice through my Princeton Reverb and after a couple of minutes I get a persistent hum so I look in the back and one of the Tung Sol 6v6s is red plating. It sucks as they sound really great but I guess longevity is not their strong suit. Back to JJ I go. :jo
I put JJs back in my DRRI for now looking at a set of the new TAD 6V6s though. I really like the sound of the old 6V6S but don't want to pay the premium price that you have to pay for NOS tubes. So far from what I have read and demos the TADs seem like a good option for the money.

Structo

Yeah, the JJ 6V6 are pretty bullet proof and can take the higher voltages.

TAD tubes are re-branded, mostly Chinese.