Tung-sol EL34...what's the word

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by el34power, Sep 11, 2008.

1. el34power

el34power Member

Anybody tried them yet? Satisfied with "C" but hey!

2. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

Sterling, VA (not far from Washington DC)
    Still awaiting free beta test results from other dealers and users. Too soon for me to take the risk.

3. Roccaforte Amps

Roccaforte Amps Member

I passed on them, still using SED.

4. shanetram

shanetram Supporting Member

Just got a pair in the mail the other day for my 70's Traynor Custom Reverb. I haven't had a chance to try them out yet but I'll post when I do.

Tube Depot had them on sale for $40/pair so I figured I'd give them a shot.

5. FrankieSixxxgun

FrankieSixxxgun Member

thetubestore.com has a review on all of their EL-34s and say the Tung Sols sound the best of the bunch. I've never used them personally, but I trust those guys on reviews.

6. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

Tonal opinions are just opinions. My biggest concern is reliablity. I've already been burned multiple times on New Sensor power tubes.

Be very cautious.

7. FrankieSixxxgun

FrankieSixxxgun Member

Agreed! I personally don't like to run New Sensor stuff in my amps either, but my problem was with tone, not reliability. The EH EL34s I had sounded like EL34 lite. They had a resemblance to the EL34 tone, but in a nice, safe sounding package as to not scare anybody. A 100 watt Marshall should make you jump when you strike an A. The EH's were just kinda fuzzy, undefined, and annoyed you more than scared you. :D

My bassist has his '72 Ampeg SVT loaded with new issue Tung Sol 6550s and hasn't had any problems yet. He beats that amp pretty hard too, so I'd imagine they're doing something right.

Reliability wise I haven't found anything more rugged than my JJ 6V6s. I'm running them pretty hot in my Marshall with a hot plate, the MV on 10, and the channel volume on 9. If that's not abuse I don't know what is.

8. samtheman

samtheman Member

I tried 2 pairs of new Tung-Sol EL34 and both pair have one red plating, amp is Emplexador, B+ 468V, EH EL34, JJ KT77 is doing fine. I end Winged C 6L6, btw Emplex is great w/ 6L6´s !!!

cheers

/sam

9. 59Vampire

59Vampire Silver Supporting Member

In the old days did Tung Sol ever make EL34s or is this just relabeleing another sovtek tube to appeal to those who like the name?

10. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

Sounds like a common problem with New Sensor power tubes...not being able to withstand plate voltages over 450 (when the spec is 500+). Good reason to avoid.

11. baron55

baron55 Member

Nope Tung Sol was a US company, never did make an EL34, no US company did. IMO New Sensor made tubes are nothing but junk.

12. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

Some are better than others. The better ones are no worse than anything else being made today. Not exactly a glowing endorsement, but it is what it is.

13. Jeff West

Jeff West Member

However, original Tung-Sol did sell among others lots of cool early Mullard Xf2 6CA7s with T-S branding and packaging, esp in the 1963-65 period, Dutch brown base too before that!

14. samtheman

samtheman Member

Really? Sad coz they sounded much better that EH´s....about few minutes ;)

Nest time I try Winged C EL34...

/sam

15. solitaire

solitaire Senior Member

That is what comes in most Marshalls as stock, I believe, the real McCoy Svetlana.

I don't think this thread turned out too well from an objective standpoint though. I shouldn't be discouraged from anything New Sensor based on experience of Sovteks or EHs, although the EH 6CA7 isn't bad as such.

The TS EL34B I understand has a slight tweak in the impedance making it take on a slight tetrode thing; a little stronger w. a little flatter response.

Personally I'm yet to have any bad experience of any New Sensor valve, and I'm using RI Tungsols and Mullards extensively. Getting to think about it the entire signal chain of my rig is New Sensor, which as a whole makes it 13 pre-amp ones and 4 power-ampies. Could be a matter of screening and that temperature treatment, I don't know - you tell me.

16. Rex Nomad

Rex Nomad Member

I have the new Tung-Sol EL34s in a '75 Super Lead right now and I really like them. They only have a few hours on them so I can't speak to reliability. But I do like the way they sound in a Marshall.

I agree with some previous comments on the EH EL34. I actually like the way it compressed but it sounded small.

The problem I'm having with any of the new production tubes is consistancy when it comes to sound - not reliability. I tried some of the new Mullard (New Sensor) EL34s and they were great. So I ordered another quad and they didn't sound half as good as the first set. I've experienced the same thing with winged Cs too. And for that matter, it's really the same issue with 12ax7s.

17. samtheman

samtheman Member

Do you know how much B+ you are working??

cheers

/sam

18. Rex Nomad

Rex Nomad Member

I can't remember the exact number on that one but all of my Marshall 100 watt heads run between 460-480. With that voltage my ear usually likes the bias between 28-34. I think I set the Tung-Sols around 32.