Tung Sol KT-66 (and KT-66 in general)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Nathan, Oct 9, 2005.

1. Nathan

Nathan Member

Hi all, I have me a quad of the new Tung Sol KT66 in my Allen Tonesavor (BFTR style). Wanted to see if anybody else has experience with them since they just came out this year. It's the first time I try any KT66, so I have nothing to gauge them by. There's alot of info about the other brands but not much about the Tung Sols. Please discuss! Thx

2. Wakarusa

Wakarusa Member

I have it on pretty good authority that the new "Tung Sol" KT-66 has the same guts as the current Svet 'S' logo 6L6, though with a higher screen dissipation spec.

3. Nathan

Nathan Member

4. Reeek

Reeek Member

I am running a single ended homebrew that runs a GEC KT66 and a Telefunken Smooth Plate 12AX7.

IMHO, the GEC KT66 is the best sounding big bottle power tube I have ever heard. That's just me though.

5. Nathan

Nathan Member

If that's true, I should have heard essentially the same response from the JJ 6L6's I had in the amp before (as if changing brands of 6L6). I definitely heard the "kinkless" thing when I put these in with the midrange affected greatly. All my eq settings had to shift quite a bit and the amp responded differently -no question about it. Unless I'm missing something (but like I said, I'm no expert)? The NOS are out of the question for me BTW! Especially since I would need a quad.

6. SuperReverb2

SuperReverb2 Member

Nathan:

I can't speak for the "new" Tung-Sol KT66's, but when I experimented with a bunch of different KT66's a while back, including a STELLAR sounding matched pair of NOS GEC (Genelex) KT66's, believe it or not, I thought the Valve Arts (Shuguang) sounded the closest (to the real deal) at a tenth of the price. I bought the Shuguang KT66's from Lord Valve on his recomendation. When I was finished with my "testing" I sold all the KT66's (including the GEC) and kept a matched pair of the Shuguangs just so I would have decent sounding pair of KT66's kicking around if I ever needed them. I liked the GT-KT66-HP's the least, as I thought they sounded more liked a beefed up 6L6 than a true KT66. To my ears, there is a STUNNING mid clarity in a good sounding KT66 (the GEC KT66's has this in spades obviously), but the GT-KT66-HP's seemed to be "blurry" in the mids and had a LOT more gain than the originals as well.

Chuck

7. Nathan

Nathan Member

Thanks Chuck -I'll be trying those Shuguangs next. My tech tried to sell me a set of GT-HP's because he had some in stock. It didn't sound like a good idea to me since they were a new design and I didn't feel they would give me the classic KT66 sound (too 6L6 as you pointed out). Course if Wakarusa is right, I'm not hearing the "true" KT66 sound anyway! Pls keep comments coming! Bottom line is that I'm very pleased with the differece in tone on my amp (they kick out alot of heat BTW!) and that should be all that matters. I just like to know so I can have a bigger perspective.

8. Wakarusa

Wakarusa Member

The two tones to compare would be the Tung-Sol branded KT-66 and a Svet 'S' 6L6GC, not the KT-66 and a JJ 6L6GC.

FWIW, I'm also a huge fan of the Shuguang KT-66. Some notes:
    - In some 6L6 designs they can sound a bit bland. Don't seem to respond well to a tightly regulated B+
    - I like them much better into a higher primary impedence than the stock 5K you see on many 6L6 OTs
    - I like 'em so much that I've got a pile sitting here. When I get the last few tweaks worked out for the "purple prototype" these will be the standard tube for it.

9. Pentode

Pentode Supporting Member

I like the Shuguang KT-66's as well. The GT's are OK, but definitely not as rich sounding to my ears.

10. KLB

KLB Member

Todd,
    How do the Shuguang KT-66 sound using EL-34 (3.4K primary) iron with the impedance selector set one half the speaker load (8 into 16)?

- Ken

11. Roccaforte Amps

Roccaforte Amps Member

I'll second the Shuguangs being a good KT66
    (just watch the plate volts), the rest are poo.

12. riffmeister

riffmeister Gold Supporting Member

I hate KT66's. Period. Give me a good 6L6 or EL34 any day of the week.

13. Pentode

Have you tried the Shuguangs? They sound much better than the other choices. They are modeled on GEC's.

14. riffmeister

riffmeister Gold Supporting Member

Yup. I'll take an SED 6L6 or EL34 any day of the week.

Of course, it might be that I just haven't found the right amp. But I think it has more to do with my ear.

15. KLB

KLB Member

According to Bob at Eurotubes, JJ is working on a true KT-66 made with smaller, 6L6-sized glass. This will let you use them in amps where the tube sockets are too close for KT-66. Even some of the JTM-45 reissues have this problem.

16. Pentode

Yeah, they may just not be to your taste, or it could be your amp or choice of speakers.

I love the sound, always thought the Clapton Beano album had one of the greatest tones ever.

17. Roccaforte Amps

Roccaforte Amps Member

One problem, the vacuum its under is critical, at least if they're trying to make a "true" KT66, the bottle will need to be correct.

18. Wakarusa

Wakarusa Member

No way to tell from here (unless you turn it WAY up...).

An effective 6.8K primary should do okay, but the end result will depend heavily on other factors (B+, screen supply, other OT characteristics, etc.). Primary impedence is only one ingredient in the recipe.

19. Nathan

Nathan Member

+1 But in my application, I was just going for something different. The Tung Sols do sound better to my ears -fatter and richer, more interesting tone than the 2 types of 6L6 I had in the amp before. Of course I'm not running the amp overdriven (too much headroom for that). I have 2 giant Fanes that are similar to EMV 12L's in a closed cab. I can't wait to experiment with other KT66's because the 6L6's, though pretty were VERY Fendery and scooped. I sure wish some of you amp gurus lived near me. You seem to have alot of knowledge about the detailed workings of good tube amps (and tubes)...

20. Roccaforte Amps

Roccaforte Amps Member

Keep in mind the beano tone wasn't the tubes, it was the RangeMaster pedal and the guy playing through it.
    Its a very easy tone to get, Doug