Tungsol 12AX7 reissue recent developments.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Red Planet, Mar 4, 2006.

1. Red Planet

Red Planet Member

Some of you may have seen my Mini 12AX7 Shootout thread. I'm lasy and dont feel like finding it.

I had reviewed the Tungsol 12AX7 reissues along with a number of other Tubes and have had some recent developments that trouble me. As you know I kinda prefered the Combo of the Tung Sol in V1 with the Sovtek LPS's in V2 and V3.

I had purchased several of the Tung Sols and out of the these 3 were bad which I allready stated. Only a couple were good they sounded amasing. Much better than the EH's though the only difference between the EH and TS is the Getter.

Anyways the rest of em just crapped out on me after some time with some voltage going through em. They have become extremly Microphonic and unusable. I like the way these babys sound but 100 percent failure rate is as bad as the GT M's.

So far out of the new production Tubes I have the ones that have held up is the Sovtek LPS's and the JJ's. The EI's had problems, the EH's had problems,the Ruby's were OK, the Tung Sols had problems, and the GT M's had problems. HHHHHMMMMM not looking good here. The Home Team zip the away Team 11.

2. BozoTone

BozoTone Member

I can't remember if the JJ 803 was on the radar or not.. that may be the JJ your talking about...you know me, I ain't pushin' JJ's but we are gonna have to find something in the new production that works, at least for a few moments and has SOME tone to it...
    BZT

3. blues junkie

blues junkie Member

Bought 3 Tung-Sol 12ax7's RI for my Hotrod Deluxe last saturday.At first they sounded great.By Monday 1 of them was very microphonic.Took it back and had it replaced.Hope I don't have any more problems with them.

Blues Junkie.

4. Red Planet

Red Planet Member

I like the JJ's ECC803's and ECC83's. So far out of everything Current Production they are the most durable and longest lasting. The only thing is they can be a tad bit dark if not in a bright sounding amp.

The Tung Sols are slotted for the Trash Can along with the other crap floating around in the Basement. I'm so tired of these Tube Gurus comming on here and wanting to sell us products to make the Boat Payments and the stuff ending up being crap not worthy of the trash can. Spouting thier Techno BS and making it sound real good.

Right now I'm back to the drawing board as far as finding a Tube Compliment that works well with the M-18. I'm liking the EI's in the Power Secton over any I've tried so far.

5. electronpirate

electronpirate Member

RedPlanet:

Don't take this wrong, but if you're having that high a failure rate on preamp tubes, then you might look elsewhere for the problem. Does your amp push them that much that only the hardiest survive?

I've been using them for the last 9 months in a high performance amp, and had not a one be microphonic.

That's just me. But any blanket 'most of them blew' sort of tells it's own story.

EP

(Really not trying to start an argument here, but if THAT many preamp tubes are failing in your amps, then maybe other possibilities should be considered.)

6. Red Planet

Red Planet Member

No argument considered. There is no problem with the Amp. Have a good day.

My results are what they are my results.

7. Red Planet

Red Planet Member

8. blues junkie

blues junkie Member

9. eknapier

eknapier Member

I've got a tung sol ax7 in V1 of my hot rod deluxe not for about 4 months, with no problems....

how often do you guys change your tubes? i gig probably about twice a week. Was thinking about buying some more of these same tubes as back ups, but now I'm scared after reading this thread. Do the JJ/Teslas sound as sweet as the Tung Sols?

10. electronpirate

electronpirate Member

RedPlanet:
    I'll keep an eye out, but just offering a dissenting opinion that these seem like pretty solid tubes for new prod.

Could be they would be like the Gold Pins. Sound great when you find one that works. I've just been lucky that all of mine have worked.

I guess I would take some umbrage with 'tube guru's' comment who are hoodwinking people here. They know exactly what would happen to them with the knowledgeable folks on this board. They would be skew'rd after a consistent record of bad tubes. Snake oil lasts about 2 seconds in this area. I personally have had nothing but solid advice. Sometimes the tubes are not to my liking (GT 12ax7M...too dark, JJ's, iffy), but still my tube failure rate is extremely low.

Good luck in your search. And let us know what you find. The only crime is NOT having an opinion!

EP

11. calieng

calieng Member

I've been using EH12AX7s for years and have yet to have a problem with a single tube. Do the Tung-sols really sound better? I have not had a chance to try them yet. They sound like a very similar tube made at the same plant right?

12. Red Planet

Red Planet Member

Well there are too many quotes to quote here.

I will agree these are great sounding Tubes when they work. I may get a handfull more to try out.

As far as folks pushing thier wares there are two guys that come around here claiming to want to help and all they end up doing is pushing thier products. If I mention who they are world war three would break out.

There are Tube Gurus that come around here and are very helpful so I'm not saying they all are bad. My gripe is you shouldnt have to buy a Current Production Tube that is bad right out of the box. If you went to a Chevy dealer drove a new car off the lot and the engine blew you'd be back in there wanting a new car your money back or the dang thang fixed. My problem I guess is I dont have time to test every tube I buy right when I buy it and then by the time I get around to it the ol warranty is out. I wish I had more time. There are to many of these little things bad when you get em in an amp.

13. Red Planet

Red Planet Member

Yes the EH's and Tung Sols are made in at the Sovtek Reflektor Plant. There aint much difference in the construction of the two but there is a big Tone difference. The only difference the ol Eyeball Guru can tell is the Halo Getter is different in the TS tube than the EH tube.

14. sundaypunch

sundaypunch Member

Are you buying them from someone that burns them in? Even this is no guarantee you'll get a good one but it's a start.

Personally I just don't buy new tubes anymore. Too many problems similar to yours. I have been able to find reasonably priced NOS tubes and have all but eliminated these problems. They not only sound better but they usually last much longer.

Good luck.

15. Red Planet

Red Planet Member

The JJ's seem to last longer and hold up better without going microphonic over the rest. They tend to be a tad dark. Thats the ECC83's. The ECC803's are a tad brighter but still a little dark sounding. If you have a bright amp or plenty of Trebile Headroom they may be just what the doctor ordered. They work fine in my Marshalls which are a little on the bright side anyway. Both my Marshalls are full up with JJ's from one end to the other.

16. Red Planet

Red Planet Member

Yeah I may need to go this route for some different tonal flavors. What is a good NOS 12ax7 that is bright and very un microphonic?

17. RussB

RussB low rent hobbyist Silver Supporting Member

So...who'd you buy them from?

I have a dozen TS-RI's. 8 are in amps, and all still sound great. Sorry to hear of your misfortune. What parameters are your particular tubes working in? Plate voltage? AC or DC heaters?

18. twangbanger

twangbanger Supporting Member

bought 5 of the tung-sols and so far no issues wonder if they had a bad run of them? I hope that these problems are resolved as I think that these are as nice a sounding current production 12ax7 tube as there is out there!
    Rob

19. Red Planet

Red Planet Member

Who'd I buy em from really in all honesty shouldnt play into it at all. If Sovtek releases them into the market bad then thats not a reflection on the seller.

I really think that these manufactures should burn in and test thier own tubes. Its not like it was back in the day when these things were manufactured by folks that meant business.

I know we all have our own results.

What I do find different out of the hundreds of Tubes I've went through is the JJ's I have tried haver never failed prematurely or been bad right out of the box.

20. jetlag

jetlag Member

I've had nothing but great luck with the tung sols. I've bought 5 (batch of 1, then 4) from a dealer who tests them himself and so far am batting 100% on them. One of the TS has been in an old tweed bandmaster for 8 months or so. It gets used weekly. I recently bought 4 more from yet another quality tube vendor who also tests them but haven't used them yet. I do think that's the key. These guys weed out infant mortalities and the stuff that goes south as it's crossing the pond. Reduces (not eliminates) your chance of getting crap. There simply isn't enough competition in the world of tubes to force manufacturer's into screening and testing their tubes at the factory. Get used to it. But I do agree in the sense that these TSs aren't cheap - $14 - $19 ea., and as such shouldn't be crap.