TungSol ECC803S

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by BozoTone, Dec 9, 2005.

1. BozoTone

BozoTone Member

...OK...has anybody here had a chance to check these out yet???I am probably going to grab a 803 (E83CC) and am trying to decide between the TungSols or the Teslas (not JJ's).....

2. RussB

RussB low rent hobbyist Silver Supporting Member

JJ makes the ECC803S long-plate.

Tung-Sol has the 12AX7 (new-manufacture)

Funny you should ask...I just bought another 6 of each from Doug's Tubes Both are great, affordable tubes, BTW, and Doug stands behind his products :)

3. rockon1

rockon1 Member

Actually I just searched this . Came up with this.Evidently they DO make a Tung Sol ECC803s. I wonder if its just a gold pin version of the regular model? Hmmm...

http://cgi.ebay.ca/Tung-Sol-ECC803S...itemZ5831762244QQcategoryZ71566QQcmdZViewItem

4. RussB

RussB low rent hobbyist Silver Supporting Member

Hmm, I stand corrected

That's a lot of cash if it's just the pins...

5. Scott_F

Scott_F Member

I've been using the JJ's in my matchless-style amp. They are awesome.

6. SuperReverb2

SuperReverb2 Member

I've been using the new JJECC803S with great success. I have two of the (reissue) Tung Sol 12AX7's, and quite honestly I prefer the JJECC803S, but the Tung Sol's are a REALLY nice sounding tube in their own right. I'll have to get one of the (new) Tung Sol ECC803S Gold Pins to try out, but they are listed at $60.90 (US) on the New Sensor web page! :eek:

I think I'll shop around a see if I can them from a reliable source for a little less than $60.90 a tube. That's a LOT of money for a current production pre amp tube.

Chuck

7. rockon1

rockon1 Member

I didnt want to get off topic but ,yeah, Im using the JJ ECC803s too and think they sound great. I got turned off to the jj pre amp tubes with everybody raving about the ECC83s and I tried it and found it kind of too smooth and dull. I decided to give the ECC803 a shot and was nicely surprised. Seemed to have everything the ECC83s had and a nice top end-not dull. As for the Tungsol ECC803s check out the link I posted. The seller wants 30$ a pop for them.I wonder whom the seller is. Big inventory and good prices on a lot of tubes. I wont buy off E-bay so unless I figure out the company and call Im out of luck with that one.

8. riffmeister

riffmeister Gold Supporting Member

My impression, too, of the earlier JJ's. I'll have to give the new long plate version a try.....it'd be nice to have an alternative to the Ei long plate tubes, which I've been using for some time and really like.

9. rockon1

rockon1 Member

I bet you will like them. Of coarse what works in one amp may not in another.

10. BozoTone

BozoTone Member

I'm not considering the JJ at all...the other 803 (E83CC) is/was made by Tesla and are supposed to be very close sonically to a Telefunken ECC803S...I think the Teslas are in the $45-$60 range...I have a reissue TungSol AX7 that I think is one of the best of the new production bulbs, and just thought their 803 might be worth a shot based on the AX7.....

11. rockon1

rockon1 Member

First I heard of it.(TS ECC803s)So I googled it and found them on E-bay.Looking at pics of both the regular tungsol and the gold pin version the guts look very similar. FWIW-I have some gold pin Ei's and Ive found them difficult to install as the gold plating makes the pins thicker-kind of scary really to need to put that much pressure on sockets just to ninstall them. I'm avoiding buying any more gold plated tubes for this reason.BTW-Have you tried the new JJECC803s? I think its a great new production for little $.

12. Scott_F

Scott_F Member

Everyone that has demoed my Franklin 15 amp has absolutely loved the JJ ECC803S preamp tubes. Andy at Mojo was telling me that he a high reject rate so he's not carrying them. Bob at Eurotubes screened all his stuff very well and I've not had a dud yet. I've bought about a dozen so far.

13. Doug's Tubes

Doug's Tubes Member

Russ, it's the same TS reissue 12AX7 with gold plated pins....

Gold pins have zero effect on tone, so yes, it is quite a bit of chunk for gold plating even if the price of gold has been going up.

14. Occam

Occam Member

I think I'm the only person on Earth that just can't stand JJ preamp tubes. I've tried a couple and they all have the same, thin, buzzy high end that sounds its worst when it distorts and sounds like a boss ds-1.

15. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

Sterling, VA (not far from Washington DC)
    Trust me, you're not the only one. As always, ears, amps, and personal taste vary quite a bit. The is absolutely NO consensus on tone.

16. rockon1

rockon1 Member

Nope,however, I dislike them for what I percieve is the EXACT opposite sound! lol. I found thier JJECC83s too be to smooth and dull sounding. No high end sizzle at all! Then I tried the 803 and I thought it was great-it actually had some high end. Funny how these things are percieved by different p[eople.

17. johnny q

johnny q Member

Hey - I'm the other guy that cant stand JJ Pre Tubes:D

I almost sold an amp because it sounded so bad, as a last resort I swapped out the JJ ec83s for something else and it was like a blanket was lifted off the amp.

I do like the JJ el34L though...........

JQ

18. SuperReverb2

SuperReverb2 Member

I'll "third" the fact that I didn't like JJ pre amp tubes either, (I agree fully with dull and lifeless) until the JJ ECC803 tubes came along. Those, as I posted earlier, I REALLY like! I'm still not sold on their 6L6's either as they seem to bias a lot colder than other tubes, and I have had trouble finding an amp that has the (stock) bias range to get them "cooking." I DO LIKE the JJ EL84's and the JJ 6V6's though.

Chuck