• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

tungsram el84

westerhever

can anyone recommend these (nos, yellow labeled) ?
how do they compare to mullards,telefunken and the likes?

Timbre Wolf

Hyperspatial Gravity Surfer
Platinum Supporting Member
can anyone recommend these (nos, yellow labeled) ?
how do they compare to mullards,telefunken and the likes?
I highly recommend them. They're tonally well-balanced, and they have a wonderful clarity. I have genuine Mullard EL84 ('60s), and actually prefer the Tungsram. I have no Telefunken EL84, so can't compare.

Though that sounds like an incredible endorsement, believe it or not, they're not my favorite! I do prefer '50s Dutch Philips (Sittard-made), for even better clarity, but they're too rare and expensive. For slightly less chime, and earlier breakup, I prefer black-plate Sylvania 6BQ5. The Tungsram are there with these, in the top three, for me.

I have also tried black-plate RCA, Tesla (not JJ), Valvo, Amperex ('60s), Matsushita, Telam, Sovtek and JJ EL84.

I say - if you can get 'em, go for it!! :AOK

westerhever

great info. thank you !
is there a difference as for white/yellow labels or
anything else i should pay attention to ?

Timbre Wolf

Hyperspatial Gravity Surfer
Platinum Supporting Member
I have not sampled white v. yellow versions, and have only yellow (I believe). As far as I know, the internals did not change significantly. I think it is best to make sure you've got a seller who is reliable and thorough in testing and matching.

- T

Trending Topics