1. A proposal is now up as a poll to change the guidelines of TGP to only allow member self-deleting of post/threads for up to thirty days of the original posting it. We are now watching the poll here. Click here to view the thread.

Dismiss Notice

Tungsten Mosaic MkII vs. Victoria 5112? Sell me one.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by toddlilienthal, May 18, 2011.

1. toddlilienthal

toddlilienthal Member

Hey there - I want to get back into playing after taking a 10 year break where I was focusing on banjo. I'm not going to be gigging and want to do mostly blues and rock. I have my choices narrowed down to these options and would love to hear your opinions on both. I'm open to other options as well. What do you think of these amps and why?

If anyone has a used Mosaic MkII for sale, let me know! I was in the process of purchasing one and the seller sold it to someone else without warning so I'll buy it from you if you have one!

2. blues

blues Supporting Member

I have the 5112. It is a simple amp that sounds great. One knob plug direct into the amp,its a tone machine. It also takes pedals well.

3. dewman

dewman Gold Supporting Member

The Mosaic sounds great. I've owned the 5112 and it was stiff by comparison

4. toddlilienthal

toddlilienthal Member

Thanks Dewman - that's great info. Anyone got a mosaic to sell?

5. toddlilienthal

toddlilienthal Member

Well, I went and bought an original 57 champ. Hope it fits the bill!

6. distorted noise

distorted noise Member

My local GC had a Tungsten Mosaic with the 8 inch speaker and that amp just floored me and i can only imagine how cool the MkII must sound like. i want to pick one up someday before the price goes way up.

7. toddlilienthal

toddlilienthal Member

I'd still love to pick one up as well. If anyone knows of one, please let me know. Thought I had one bought, but the seller went another direction in the middle of our deal. Always love that :).

8. Greg V.

Greg V. Member

I love the 8-inch Mosaic and did some You Tube demos with that version. But I ordered my Mosaic with a 12" Celestion G12H30 and it's awesome.

When you crank the Mosaic up, it starts to get angry with foam coming out of the speaker grill like a rapid dog! Love it!

9. bluesjuke

bluesjuke Disrespected Elder

You don't think the speaker difference and not broken in on the 5112 was a major factor of the differences?

My Vicky 20112 was stiff when new but after speaker break in is one of the most fluid machines I've ever played through.

10. dewman

dewman Gold Supporting Member

No because I owned the 5112 for over a year. The mosaic just sounded right out of the box. I'd take and play the heck out of either, I'm splitting hairs here. Both are great.