Tuning down to Eb.....the negative side!

2HBStrat

For a fill-in gig I'm having to learn a cover song that was originally played by a band that tunes to Eb. However, the band I'm going to play with doesn't tune down, but, since the song has a lot of open strings they play it just the same way. So now I need to play along with the CD but I can't because if I play along I will have to play in actual Eb, but then we would play it in E. I guess I could tune the whole guitar down a half step to learn it but what a pain! THAT'S the negative side of, as a cover band, tuning down.

Bankston

There are lots of apps and devices on the market that allow you to change the pitch of the recorded song.

You can also slow down the tempo.

When I was playing covers, I just used a Tascam Guitar Trainer and didn't have to change tunings on my guitar. Nowadays I use an app called Music Trainer.

phazersonstun

Tune down to learn it. It isn't too big a big deal unless your guitar has a Floyd.

One of the cover bands I play in tunes down to Eb, & & the 2nd band plays in standard.
I keep 2 guitars set up in Eb for the first band, but use the standard tuned guitars for learning tunes if I need to spend time with the recording.

Its rather common in the band that tunes down for some songs to not be in the original key position or pitch wise so I just learn the original key then transpose it.

Sometimes it's a little bit of a pain but it's just part of earning the dough.

Bankston

I've just barely gotten used to working up songs using my CD player. I really like it because you can stop at the exact second you want.
The Tascam Guitar Trainer I mentioned uses a CD. You can burn all the songs you have to learn on a CD and change pitch and tempo as need be.

I bet, without knowing, these can be found dirt cheap used.

paranoid70

For a fill-in gig I'm having to learn a cover song that was originally played by a band that tunes to Eb. However, the band I'm going to play with doesn't tune down, but, since the song has a lot of open strings they play it just the same way. So now I need to play along with the CD but I can't because if I play along I will have to play in actual Eb, but then we would play it in E. I guess I could tune the whole guitar down a half step to learn it but what a pain! THAT'S the negative side of, as a cover band, tuning down.
Wow, turning down six whole strings only to tune them back up. What a chore.

(Probably took longer to write a post about it than just tune up the guitar.)

Rumy22

Frankly, the op seems pretty lazy. I could understand if he a floyd but that does not seem to be the case.

The Captain

amazingslowdowner

I used to have a CD based Tascam. It was good in the day, but not a patch on the newer apps. I don't learn new songs as often now, but the looping and tempo/pitch control is a breeze, even for a Luddite like myself.