• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Tuning down to Eb.....the negative side!

buyusfear

In adition to pickups, wood,multiple string gauges, neck dimensions, fingerboard variations across like model guitars, and the endless combination of the aforementioned;
Alternate tuning is just one more reason to have another guitar in the stable.
And this is how I sell it to my wife.

JoeB63

Silver Supporting Member
But..... just thinking out loud here..... it could be a POSITIVE if you're the type of guy who like to start threads about how annoying minor band-related issues are (especially when they're really humble-brags about how in-demand you are).

HoboMan

Gold Supporting Member
I had to learn a couple of songs in Eb last night.
Took me less than 30 seconds to tune my guitar down.

May I recommend one of these for the tuning challenged:

georgestrings

There are lots of apps and devices on the market that allow you to change the pitch of the recorded song.

You can also slow down the tempo.

When I was playing covers, I just used a Tascam Guitar Trainer and didn't have to change tunings on my guitar. Nowadays I use an app called Music Trainer.
Yeah, I bought a Korg Pandora and a set of Grado headphones years ago - best money ever spent for a coverband player, IMO...

- georgestrings

ledzep618

I've just barely gotten used to working up songs using my CD player. I really like it because you can stop at the exact second you want.
??? you can stop the music on the computer too. faster even. hit the space bar and it stops!

You could also tune down 1/2 step and learn it, would take oh I dunno...30 seconds?

Telebluze

Platinum Supporting Member
But..... just thinking out loud here..... it could be a POSITIVE if you're the type of guy who like to start threads about how annoying minor band-related issues are (especially when they're really humble-brags about how in-demand you are).
Damn!!!! :boxer

Nebakanezer

World’s Okayest Guitar Player
Gold Supporting Member
In all seriousness, keep your guitar tuned down a 1/2 step and use a capo on the first fret to learn songs in standard pitch.

Tons of software to transpose whatever song flat or sharp. Just use one. When I started playing, we would have given a left nut for tools like we have today. Slowdowners, transposing apps, modelling (this is huge, hundreds of thousands of dollars in gear contained in a little box), YouTube, online lessons, digital wireless, etc. Embrace technology.

Tone_Terrific

Silver Supporting Member
Let's face it, just popping in a CD or mp3 without doing any s/w manipulation is much easier, esp if your computer isn't available.

However, if you post on TGP you surely have a spare guitar around that can be tuned to Eb or you have to change the tuning on your 1 guitar and face the horrors of playing a guitar with less than 100% optimal setup. Brutal.

jtm622

For a fill-in gig I'm having to learn a cover song that was originally played by a band that tunes to Eb. However, the band I'm going to play with doesn't tune down, but, since the song has a lot of open strings they play it just the same way. So now I need to play along with the CD but I can't because if I play along I will have to play in actual Eb, but then we would play it in E. I guess I could tune the whole guitar down a half step to learn it but what a pain! THAT'S the negative side of, as a cover band, tuning down.
You really only have 1 guitar?

:)

Pewtershmit

I've been using the Digitech drop for this. I practice the songs in their original pitch so I can play along using the drop, then we've just been playing in standard live.

Before I would use my guitar pro app on iPad , download the guitar pro tab and change the guitar tunings without transposing. Doesn't sound as good as the original track but it works.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom