Tuning for Baritone 28"

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by PitchShifter, Feb 14, 2008.

1. PitchShifter

PitchShifter Member

Hi Peeps,
    I know that ~27/28" baritones are normally turned A-A or B-B. Is it possible to tune a 28" to E-E the same as the 30" Bass VIs without any serious tension issues (too tight or too loose)?

What kind of string gauge would work?

2. vandi

vandi Member

Owned a 28" scale baritone and currently own a Bass VI. The 30" scale Bass VI is still a little flabby tuned to E. You could try but you're going to have to put some monster strings on your baritone and you'll need a new nut & saddles. I usually go with a heavier gauge E and A string on my Bass VI to compensate for the flabbiness of D'addario's and Fender's stock Bass VI string sets.

3. jads57

jads57 Supporting Member

See hat Fender uses on their Subsonic Strats, or even Tom Anderson offered a baritone at one time. One more maker Veillete Guitars.

4. PitchShifter

PitchShifter Member

I've done some more hunting, and the discontinued Fender Baritone Custom was 28.5" and used the same strings as the Bass VI tuned E-E, so it does seem like it is possible.

I'll use a replica Bass VI tailpiece and bridge. Not sure what to do about the nut...file it, I guess.

5. JoeDeCologne

JoeDeCologne Member

I think E - e on a 28.5" will be very flabby. When you think about it, it's 2 1/2 tones below A - a..! I went in the other direction on my Bari: I tune to C# with normal strings (11 - 50 in my case). Fabulous rich tone. Deep enough for me (any deeper and I prefer to go to a Bass) and very, very 'playable'. If you try E - e and it does work for you, please let us know. I'd love to be wrong, but I'm sure it'll feel real loose and floppy.