Tuning idea for left handed guitar (or RH if you're LH)

Deed_Poll

Hey guys

I had this idea but haven't been able to try it since I don't have a left handed guitar around.

What if a right hander took a left handed guitar and played it reversed, so the strings are EBGDAE from high to low. Then sharpen the A to a low B and flatten the high B to a high A (swapping the notes on the 2nd and 5th strings).

Next you tune down the D to a G and the G to a D. These could probably do with being heavier strings, obviously. I think this bit needs a bit of thinking through but I figured tuning them both down would be fairly safe just to try it out.

So what you are left with is a guitar where the same chord shapes would apply but the treble strings would be bass strings and vice versa.

Sound stupid enough for someone to try it? :)

Staticbuster

Why does it need a lefty to do that? Couldn't you just retune any guitar that way and play with upstrokes?

Deed_Poll

You could indeed! But all your chord shapes would be flipped around. I thought it might be an interesting way of hearing new inversions of chords using the same shapes. But you're right, I might try that out.

Deed_Poll

How about just restringing a RH guitar??
That would work, but it would be easier to try on a lefty if anyone has one handy because the nut is filed correctly etc. I used to have an old bandmate's lefty strat hanging around I wish I'd thought of it before.

Deed_Poll

I wonder how pentatonic "blues box" lead lines would sound with this tuning.
I was thinking the same, I imagine it would lend more of a 'stepped' sound; as straight runs would ascend, the next string would be lower in range. I hope it would sound really different.

I wondered specifically how jimi style rhythm / lead 'CAGED' playing would sound from tracks like castles made of sand and little wing. It might be nice because there is a lot of content on the lower strings and diads to play with which would presumably be transformed.

Trending Topics