Tuning machine suggestions for a '88 Stratocaster

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by heavypic, Feb 2, 2016.

1. heavypic

heavypic Member

Hey all,

I'm looking for help/suggestions for tuning machines for a 1988 American Stratocaster. I am replacing the guitar's neck with a Warmoth '59, 9.5 radius, 25.5 scale neck that I purchased back in 2010. At the time, I asked Warmoth to drill the tuning machine holes for the stock Fender tuners which I believe are Fender Part 0990820100 (http://www.fender.com/parts/tuning-...aster-tuning-machines/0990820100.html#start=1). The stock tuners do not use set screws but instead have 2 set pins on the mounting surface of the tuner that are inserted in a pair of corresponding holes for each tuner in the back of the headstock...these pins help to align the tuners and prevent them from rotating. Tuners are secured by nuts/bushing on the front of the headstock.

Warmoth drilled tuner machine holes that are ~.340" diameter on the front and ~.385" on the back of the headstock, but did not drill the 2 small holes for the aforementioned set pins.

Questions:
    1) Are there other tuning machines (non-locking / vintage or modern) that will fit the aforementioned holes in the Warmoth neck? I understand I may have to drill small holes for set screws on the back of the headstock.

2) Is there a staggered set of tuning machines that will eliminate the need for 1 or both string trees (for the D,G,B,E strings)?

3) Would it be easier/more practical to just use the stock tuning machines and string trees from the original neck?

I plan to keep the original neck as I was told this guitar was a special production promo guitar for Tanqueray Gin (Tanqueray green body with maple/rosewood neck). It was won by a family member in a contest/drawing and sold to me in new condition.

Help appreciated... Regards

2. Bikedude

Bikedude Gold Supporting Member

3. Eagle1

Eagle1 Member

Gotoh traditional locking tuners make several versions that fit and use one screw. This is easier to fit than drilling two locater holes.

4. hudpucker

hudpucker Member

Hipshot also has staggered locking tuners that only need one screw. Nice and light with a good ratio (18:1).

5. heavypic

heavypic Member

Thanks all for the replies. I'd rather have non-locking tuners. Any other suggestions? Thanks again...

6. JBid

JBid Member

Gotoh Vintage-style Oval Knob 6-In-Line Tuners

[​IMG]
    Below on a partscaster
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Thanx Blix for heads-up!;)

Last edited: Feb 3, 2016
  7. Blix

Blix Supporting Member

Front holes being .340 I don't thing those conversion bushings are needed. But I second Goth Klusons.