tuning machines, sperzels ????

recto-robbie

Hey gents,, ive got a real nice Gibson les paul studio which im finding more and more a major pain in the arse to keep in tune.
Im looking into replacing the stock tuners with some sperzels.
From what I hear they are some of the best out there.
Question,,, if I were to buy a set of these sperzels, is there anything I need to know about installing them?
Will I need to drill any more holes for installation?
What do most people do about the ramaining screw holes left from the original gibson tuners? Leave them alone,, fill them in? Or do the sperzels cover the holes completely?
Any help is appreciated. If by chance that ive come to the wrong conclusion about sperzels being some of the best,, what else in that price range or about can compare? Many thanks, Rob

rooster

Depends on which tuners are on your Gibson. If you install them yourself, I would recommend the little jig that StewMac sells that aligns your drill bit for the mounting screws.

FWIW, I think either Grover or Gotoh sells a locking tuner which looks very much like the Klusons, except that it works much better (which isn't hard to do). Check at StewMac for that one.

rooster.

amc

Make sure you inspect the nut on your LP before you change the tuners.

Get some Big Bends Nut Sauce and make certain the strings aren't binding at the nut.

Sperzels are great locking tuners and probably would improve the tuning stability, but 1st check the nut

YMMV

amc

Bikedude

Sperzels are first rate. I've met him, as he lives in a Cleveland suburb. I have them on 3 guitars. The last set I put on, I just put them thru the headstock holes, and pressed down to get an imprint where the anti twist post would go, and just used a Yankee Drill to open up a small hole. Screwed em in and that was it. Great product.

recto-robbie

Im not even sure what you guys mean about the strings binding at the nut???? What do I look for if thats the case????

PolyMorf

Im not even sure what you guys mean about the strings binding at the nut???? What do I look for if thats the case????
Slots are cut too small for the strings. You could try loosening the strings and pull them out of the slots. Rub some #2 pencil lead across the slots. Tighten and tune again.

sarge40

If the nut is binding, it is because of a bad cut. A sign that your nut is binding is when you hear a "ping" while tuning the string in question. That is the release of the bound string. The nut will usually cause the string to go out of tune when you bend, or when you use the trem (not applicable to most Lesters). Bad nuts are not uncommon, even on Gibsons.

Make sure you inspect the nut on your LP before you change the tuners.

Get some Big Bends Nut Sauce and make certain the strings aren't binding at the nut.

Sperzels are great locking tuners and probably would improve the tuning stability, but 1st check the nut

YMMV

amc

+1 -- I love Sperzels and want them on all my guitars, but they likely won't help your tuning issue as much as a good setup. Nut slots are probably not cut properly and the nut itself could use lubrication.

recto-robbie

Thanks a lot to all of you,, I do understand the possible issues with the nut now. I actually stopped by my local tech and the first thing he suggested was to take a look at the nut and have a proper setup done which ive never had done with the guitar yet.
Its kind of funny though, ive had the guitar for about 6 months now bought new and its played very well all along straight out of the shop, up until about 2 months ago when these tuning problems started happening. Anyways its time to take it in, thansk again

Trending Topics

Top Bottom