Tuning/retuning for slide during a set

Discussion in 'Playing and Technique' started by TubeStack, Jan 27, 2015.

1. TubeStack

TubeStack Supporting Member

Anyone do this?

I've always had a second guitar tuned to open-E or A for slide, but lately I've been in a minimalist, strip it down mode.

I'm thinking about just bringing one guitar and putting it in an open tuning for 2-3 songs and then retuning it to standard. It just seems that doing that will affect the general tuning stability...

Anyone do this live?

(Also, I don't want to keep it in standard tuning and play slide that way, I really like open tunings.)

2. JonR

JonR Member

IMO, tuning stability should not be a problem. The only issue should be the time it takes to retune. Maybe have some chat ready to fill the void (even if short).

3. guitarjazz

guitarjazz Member

Yeah, on my Variax.

4. TubeStack

Right. I can do it pretty fast, but our bass player is good with the banter, just in case.

5. Parazyd

Parazyd Member

6. TubeStack

NOOOOOOO!!!!!!!! :D

7. kimock

kimock Member

I do it live sometimes, have to change tunings, add a capo etc.
    I just put the bottleneck stuff at the end of the set so I don't have to do it onstage twice.

8. DavidE

DavidE Member

+1!

9. Sweetfinger

Sweetfinger Supporting Member

I have found that most guitars flex enough that they will go out slightly after retuning. If you go from open D to standard, they'll drift flat and drift sharp going the other way. Some are more prone to drifting than others but I still take two or more guitars out to a gig. I do use different action and strings for slide as well.

10. DJG105

DJG105 Member

I've always retuned mid-set, sometimes up to 4 times or so. I've never brought a back-up to a gig.

I've found that locking tuners do NOT like that very much, and strings will only put up with that kind of treatment for so long before they fatigue and break at the tuner lock mechanism. I'd observed it on 3 different guitars, 2 with sperzels, one with grover auto-lockers. I've either ditched the lockers or stopped gigging those guitars for shows that require retuning frequently.

Otherwise- i haven't had any tuning stability issues.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2015
  11. TubeStack

Okay, thanks, guys. I'll give it a try. :beer

12. KirschwasserFromAShell

KirschwasserFromAShell Member

When I played in a band that required some songs with slide, I would only bring one guitar (a '52 RI Tele) and tune the high E down to a D which gave me EADGBD. This gave me a sort of hybrid standard/open G tuning. I used the upper four strings as the open G tuning for slide (DGBD). However I also had a mostly intact standard tuning if I needed to play a few licks in the middle of slide.

Being a 2nd guitarist, I didn't have to play many chords for slide, or if I did, muted the low E and A so that I had the open G chord to use with the slide.

Re-tuning mid-set was much easier since I was only dealing with one string. Good luck! Hope you find something that works for you.