Tuning your RMC3...

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by teestone, Dec 7, 2004.

1. teestone

teestone Mostly Regular Member Silver Supporting Member

I've had an RMC3 for a few years now...

Always seem to revert back to the "Smooth" setting from Teese's website or some close variation. Sometimes the Clapton tuning...rarely the RMC1 setting...I have never been able to find the quintessential wah sound though...

How do you guys tune your RMC3? Who's wah sound are you trying to capture?...if anyone in particular...What vibe are you going for?

2. LordRiffenstein

LordRiffenstein Member

I have the RMC3LE, use single coils and wanted a good tone for clean and OD. I started with the Picture Wah setting as I like that best and tweaked from there. I have been using the same setting for the last 6 months:

[​IMG]

3. leofenderbender

leofenderbender Supporting Member

Riff is right - I have the RMC-3, and I did the very same thing with mine. BTW, I use singlecoils too.

I started with the "Picture This" setting and changed the sweep just a bit. I haven't seen the need to change it for more than six months, as it is perfect enough to my ear.

4. shallbe

shallbe Deputy Plankspanker Gold Supporting Member

I started with the Smooth and Sweet setting and made changes from there. I really love it and have not changed it since. In an old thread, I detailed out the settings but I don't remember them now.

5. gucka

gucka Member

I´ve been using a somewhat modified version of "Smooth and Sweet". Right now I´m using the WOF-setting, but I don´t like it that much, so it's about to change. I think Jeff Beck has a very cool, radical wah-sound on the "Jeff" record. Any of you guys know how to tune the RMC3 to get close to that?

Cheers

-Thomas

6. Last Nerve

Last Nerve Supporting Member

Haven't fiddled with mine for awhile...but I started with the SMOOTH and went for a wider sweep.
    Here's some info for those that would like it.

http://www.analogman.com/rmc3.htm

Here's a detailed reply from Teese:

Here's a more detailed way of looking at the Sweep/Fine Tuner portion of the RMC3:

NOTE-All values are hypothetical and not actual. Consider the FT controls set to BASS in all computations.
    FT both have a max value of .5, for a total value of 1.

DIP #1 has a value of 1
    Therefore (both)FT+#1=1+1=2

DIP#2 =2
    FT+#1+#2=1+1+2=4

DIP#3=4
    FT+#1+#2+#3=1+1+2+4=8

DIP#4=8
    FT+#1+#2+#3+#4=1+1+2+4+8=16

DIP#5=16
    FT+#1+#2+#3+#4+#5=1+1+2+4+8+16=32

DIP#6=32
    FT+#1+#2+#3+#4+#5+#6=1+1+2+4+8+16+32=64

DIP#7=64
    FT+#1+#2+#3+#4+#5+#6+#7=1+1+2+4+8+16+32+64=128

DIP#8=128
    FT+#1+#2+#3+#4+#5+#6+#7+#8=1+1+2+4+8+16+32+64+128=256

DIP#9=256

Using this as a basis for computations, DIPS #2+#4+#7=2+8+64=74
    DIPS #3+#4+#5=4+8+16=28

74 is greater than 28 so 74 is a wider sweep than 28.

Hopefully you'll be able to follow all this and it makes at least some sense.

Peace, Love, and Wah,
    Geoffrey

7. leofenderbender

leofenderbender Supporting Member

8. teestone

teestone Mostly Regular Member Silver Supporting Member

I forgot about this thread....

Any of you guys with humbuckers want to chime in here? I'm at a crossroads with my RMC3. Either I find a cool setting in the near future or it's probably gone.

:confused:

9. Last Nerve

Last Nerve Supporting Member

I use it mostly with 'buckers.
    I love it to death. Recently had to do a major sell off, thanks to Uncle Sam, and it was one of TWO pedals I HAD to keep.
    Never had a bad sound come out of it.

10. Jemlite

Jemlite Member

I tried, and tried, (and tried) to love my RMC3LE. But when it came time for some extra cash, I couldn't justify keeping it for the price. It was good, but not... "Unsellable".

I'm gonna stick with something that does one thing incredibly well, instead of something that will do close to everything, next time. YMMV.

11. Blues Wail

Blues Wail Member

i wish i never bought the wizard, but different strokes!

12. gucka

gucka Member

I did some tweaking today. I wanted something radical, little Beckish, that would sound cool parked as a filter. Here's what I came up with:

L= 8:30
    M= Max
    Q= Min
    F/T= 9/3
    Dip: 4, 8

Sounded cool with my strat and some distortion, haven't tried with a band yet, though!

Håll till godo!

-Thomas

13. grunge-rock

grunge-rock Member

I went from the picture this to the SRV setting. Now i'm on the default RMC-3 setting. None of these have the exact sound i want. Hopefully i'll be able to pull something cool out of it or it's gone.

14. grunge-rock

grunge-rock Member

Update:

I got an email from Geoffrey Teese this morning offering to help me out with my RMC-3 tuning to get the sound i want. He asked what gear i use and what sound i was going for. Unbelievable customer service! Within the time span of about 20 minutes i received a couple different emails with settings that should be "right where i'm at".

Moral of the story, contact Teese if you have any doubts/questions about you RMC-3. Or just post somewhere that you can't get the sound you're after and he will contact you. :D He's that good.

Cheers.

15. Ed Reed

Ed Reed Senior Member

care to share those settings?

16. Nathan

Nathan Member

That's the best description I've read yet. Someone told me it was like a graphic EQ, but my findings did not concur with that theory at all! I got to really tweak my LE yesterday and I have to say that the range of tones is ridiculous. I have a setting I'm pretty happy with.
    LO=2:00
    MID=3:00
    SWEEP=3,5,7 ON
    FINE TUNE=12/3
    Q=1:30
    VOL=1:00
    After trying so many settings, I'm happy to find one that works (there are MANY others that would work too, but I like this one alot).

17. s_roee

s_roee Member

Hi,
    In my RMC3,
    If I turn on lower dips (8, 9), then my wah sweep starts at lower octaves, but also my higher octaves at the end are being removed.
    for example, If I the 1th dips, than my high end of the sweep becomes trebly.
    If I open than the 9th dip, than the high end sounds more like middle range.

Should it be like that? Any Ideas?
    How does it go with the
    9 Dip + 1+2+3+4+... Theory?

18. mxr2000

mxr2000 Member

bump...

New settings with the Teese RMC3 LE?

19. bandofthieves™

bandofthieves™ Member

You should contact Teese..

20. strangec

strangec Supporting Member

Has anyone 'decoded' the settings Teese suggests in the RMC3 manual as to what they equate to? RMC1 is obvioulsy the RMC1, and the Sweet and Smooth is the Wizard. What are the settings for the rest of his line? WOF, JW, Pic, etc... What is the London supposed to be? What about setting for other popular wahs? Budda? Area 51? Anyone figure out settigns for those?