Turbo Tuner fails full sunlight test.

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Trebor Renkluaf, Jul 31, 2008.

1. Trebor Renkluaf

Trebor Renkluaf I was hit by a parked car, what's your excuse? Gold Supporting Member

I love my Turbo Tuners I do I do, but if you gig in the day time under full sunlight expect to have to shield (shade) your Turbo Tuner to be able to see the LEDs. It's not a problem for me as I don't do day time gigs outdoors, so my Turbo Tuner is staying on my pedal board. However if you do outdoor gigs in the daylight you might want to have a backup tuner just in case.

2. Flyin' Brian

Flyin' Brian Member

That's always been a tough thing for me. Lately I've been on a few gig where we're facing West in the late afternoon. On my board the only thing I haven't had to shield is my Strobo Stomp, but all the other pedals are very hard to see. I built a small shield that velcros onto my PT board.

3. Vishnu

Vishnu Member

move to scotland....there is no sunshine here.problem solved.

4. Giannis

Giannis Senior Member

OMG!!

Im NOT buying one now!!

ps: this thread is a bit overkill.... no??

5. dividedsky

dividedsky Member

I understand that sometimes bands play during the day in direct sunlight as I've heard many people talk about this but I've never seen a show where this was the case. Are shows in the middle of the day really that common, especially ones where you don't have a roof that provides a shadow?

6. drod2045

drod2045 Member

i was in overcast yesterday - no issues

go back to ordering!!

7. aberrant

aberrant Member

aaahahahahahaha!

8. Funky Monkey

Funky Monkey Member

I've been preaching this for years and did not pre-order the new TurboTuner pedal for this very reason. I'm 100% certain that it is a fine tuner with incredible accuracy. Nobody has to talk me into that. I would have no problem relying on it to intonate my guitars. Hell, it even looks incredibly cool to me. Very sleek and I love the small footprint. But the fact is, if you are playing in sunlight, you often will not be able to see any of your LED's whatsoever. Some LED's are brighter than others- Keeley's blue ones, blinding as they are, are completely ineffective in direct sunlight. Sure, there are work-arounds, but none of them suit me (I'm not building a shield for my board, hopping on one foot for 30 seconds at regular intervals throughout my set, demanding a covered stage, etc.) And there are some great needle tuners out there, but none as accurate as a strobe tuner, AND most of them rely on, yes, LED's to display when it registers that you are "really in-tune" anyway. And then we're back to the point at hand.

Most of the shows I play are outdoors in direct sunlight and the ONLY pedal I can see the status of is the only one that really counts- and that's my StroboStomp. Nobody else makes one. Period. When somebody else does, I'll gladly check it out. I have no brand loyalty to Peterson. Besides, according to pretty much everybody in the free world, mine will die any minute now (is there a yawn smiley?) BUt until then, LED tuners are worthless to me.

9. NitroLiq

NitroLiq Member

I don't understand why people would even think anything with LEDs is going to somehow miraculously outshine the sun. I've heard mixed opinions on the StroboStomp as far as it being usable in direct sunlight—some say it is...some say it isn't. Building a little shade for any pedal tuner with LEDS isn't a big deal...you do what you gotta do to get the job done, right?

10. Trebor Renkluaf

Trebor Renkluaf I was hit by a parked car, what's your excuse? Gold Supporting Member

I dated a bird from Manchester, England - that close enough for ya?
    :D

11. Trebor Renkluaf

No I don't think so. Some people have asked me how it works in full on sunlight, so I did a test and reported the results. If it matters to you now you know, if it doesn't use it and rock on!

12. bloodlemons

bloodlemons Member

There have been numerous posts on this subject with posters claiming that the Turbo could be easily seen in direct sunlight. Many other posters (myself included) had a hard time seeing how that could be the case, for reasons explained above.

The StroboStomp, potential car-bomb that it is, is very accurate and is highly visible in direct sunlight. That is the entirety of the argument on this side.

And, yes, shows do happen in the daylight. They usually suck, but they happen.

13. thirstypirate

thirstypirate Member

:BEER Sunlight issues aside I would gladly move there. I've been there 5 times through the Navy and have had a blast everytime. I don't even like sun tans...

14. BluesHarp

BluesHarp Member

:roll:roll:roll

15. Waxhead

Waxhead Member

Surfin at Merewether Point, NSW Australia
    Well on the east coast of australia it's too hot for 6 months of the year to gig in full sunlight so you always have shade cover for a daytime gig. So a non-issue here really.

16. Vishnu

Vishnu Member

SCOTLAND eh? you must have tried the BUCKFAST then...?

17. Alter

Alter Member

i did a show with LOTS of sun recently. wasn't very comfortable, but i sure could use the turbo tuner..

18. thirstypirate

thirstypirate Member

Somehow I missed it... We drank a lot of Tennants. It's not the best beer but some of the people I met over there to drink with made up for it 10 fold!

19. Lucidology

Lucidology Member

Not many tuners do ...
    As I play outside weekly, usually have to use my foot for shade, but often that's not enough ...
    That's when yer good ol' ears have to do the driving ...

20. recto-robbie

recto-robbie Member

Glad we finally found something its no good at,, I was starting to feel a little guilty about everything I got for the price I paid. :AOK