Turbo Tuner vs Pitchblack : Better Bang for the Buck

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by hewhorocks, Oct 12, 2008.

1. hewhorocks

hewhorocks Member

I know at this point they are both great. As far as just part of a stage pedalboard is the Turbo Tuner worth the extra $60.

I just need a consistent, non tone sucking, easy to read unit that goes silent when I tune.

2. Axekisser

Axekisser Member

I love my TT! Really accurate and since I've been using it, I can tell when the strings are just a little out. Very nice unit. Never used the Pitchblack so I can't comment on it.

3. GTRJohnny

GTRJohnny Member

They're $60 more now? Damn!.. I guess I bought my TT at the right time... :)

4. hewhorocks

hewhorocks Member

Quick search:

Turbo Tuner $130 vs PB $80

ok so $50 more

5. GTRJohnny

GTRJohnny Member

I bought mine when it was like $99 + shipping... Now, it would be a tougher call. It's more accurate than my old TU-2, but I'm not sure if I would care as much compared to the PitchBlack. No complaints about the deal I got, though...

6. charmboy

charmboy Member

I just switched from a Stobostomp to the Pitchblack and I couldn't be happier. I was on the fence between that and the Turbo, but I really just like the readout on the pitch black much more; finding a used Pitchblack didn't hurt either! I tuned up with my Pitchblack and then plugged into my Strobostomp and it was extremely close.
    I realize the turbo is more accurate but for stage tuning purposes the difference is completely un-noticeable. The difference at that level would be completely lost the first time you bent a string even the smallest amount. Certainly not knocking the Turbo as the hype certainly points out that it's the best out there and a great value; just saying the quality of the Pitchblack would be unbelievable at any price let alone below $100

7. 89strat

89strat Member

Best bang for the buck? Pewaves. I don't understand why more people don't have this? I had one but sold it because I had a dt-10 already. Otherwise, I'd chose that over any them. $40, can't go wrong.

8. hewhorocks

hewhorocks Member

Pewaves

a darkhorse enters the race? I am a Pewaves noob.

Is it sturdy, true bypass, silent on tuning

9. 89strat

89strat Member

Yep.

10. hewhorocks

hewhorocks Member

googled it, found the site. No specs listed and the tuner specs link was dead

11. cbpickin

cbpickin Tweed Supporting Member Silver Supporting Member

I have one of each and they're both great. If I could only have one, it would be the Turbo.

12. Trevordog

Trevordog Member

I just bought the Pitchblack+ (plus) pedal tuner for $149.99.

It is supposed to be accurate to within 0.1 Cents, like the Turbo Tuner and the Strobostomp.
    I had a concert last night and it was the type of music that uses no distortion and you have to play perfectly in tune, so that's why I bought the Pitchblack+.
    It paid $400 so I made back the $150 and still made $250.

The (plain) Pitchblack tuner is in the area of $120 and is accurate to within 1 Cent. The Pitchblack+ is supposed to be 10x as accurate.

You can set it to 6 different tuning modes- 4 of them using the 1 Cent accuracy of the regular Pitchblack, and the other 2 using the second meter, which has the greater 0.1 accuracy. Obviously, you can tune faster using the single meter 1.0 accuracy modes.
    I've never used the SS or TT, so I can't comment on them, but it's definitely more accurate than the TU-2 I've used for the last 5 years, and I can hear the difference.
    I spent hours doing the intonation on my Borys archtop and my Parker solid-body and couldn't get either of them perfect by the time I ran out of different string gauges.
    The G string on the archtop and the A and E strings on the Parker play slightly sharp, but I couldn't hear the difference last night.

The true-bypass made a difference on my archtop after 5 years of hearing the TU-2 filter.
    You can also tune silently with the Pitchblack+, and it has 2 inputs where you can plug 2 instruments in at once and switch back and forth with the pedal.
    It also has the sweetened tuning (which I have no idea about) and you can store a number of different alternate tunings in the pedal's memory.
    It's small (though a bit larger than the regular Pitchblack) and sturdy, and has no jack issues.
    I'm surprised not many people here have checked it out.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2008
  13. hewhorocks

hewhorocks Member

Well they offer the less expensive option which is why the non plus is so attractive.

I'll only use this on the pedalboard onstage. Not sure why I would need 10x better than 1 cent on stage or why Id need two instruments plugged in at once, or why Id have to set an altered tuning to memory.

If you want to tune to open G, just tunes the strings accordingly. No?

14. DaBlizzardofOz

DaBlizzardofOz Member

Just for the record, the turbo is supposed to be accurate to within .02 cents. Can I tell the difference? Probably not, but I love my turbo. Just glad I grabbed it in the presale

15. forum_crawler

forum_crawler Member

I don't know about the TT, but to be quite honest, the Pitchblack is so good that I don't see the need to keep looking.

16. broknstuff

broknstuff Member

I have both. To be honest, live you'd be fine with either. They're both about the same footprint. The pitchblack is dead simple to use and as obvious as any other tuner you may have used. I had never owned a strobotuner before the TT so it took me a while to get used to the display, but it's not bad once you do. Live though, I probably wouldn't notice the difference. When I finally got both I tuned with the pitchblack, and then plugged into the TT expecting to see a night and day difference, but it was pretty much on.

The TT is faster, that is obvious. That does not mean that the pitchblack has trouble tracking, it's just the TT is incredibly sensative and fast: if you slide from up/down the frets you'd actually see the TT read out a lot of the notes. Maybe it was just the learning curve, but because it is more sensative I sometime spend more time tuning with the TT, trying to get it to stop exactly.

Maybe my ear isn't as fine tuned as others, but in summary I think if you're just going for live use you'll find no fault with the pitchblack. That's why I bought the pitchblack, but then bought the TT because I wanted to do setup work, but live I wouldn't have a problem with either.

17. hewhorocks

hewhorocks Member