• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Turbo Tuner vs Polytune 2

Figaro

Silver Supporting Member
Has anyone compared a Turbo Tuner and the new Polytune 2 side by side?
We all know the Turbo Tuner is more accurate.
I'm more interested in a comparison of their tuning speed and also if you like and actually use the Polyphonic multiple string feature of the Polytune 2?

drod2045

ive had a TT for a few years (since they 1st came out...and I have 2) and just picked a Mini Polytune and am very happy with it. Both are fast and accurate. To me, the TC is faster. And I did use the polytune method a few times and I liked it as well.

Really cant go wrong with either. But due to size, TC is for me...and to be honest, I think i prefer it as well.

TheoDog

Silver Supporting Member
The accuracy of the Poly 2 is listed as 0.1cent (same as Peterson) the TT is spec'ed at .02cent.
I don't think the speed difference could be discernable in strobe mode.
The other factor is reliability, specifically of the footswitch.

I have only compared the poly mini to the TT.

Tito83

Had both, really wanted to like the PT2, but it went away after a couple of hours after it got here. Strumming mode was useless, it was always off, strobe was too slow - I'd rather have a boss tuner. TT is accurate, fast and it's very easy to read, can't really ask for anything else.

Tim Bowen

Does the Polytune 2 have less of an audible 'pop' when engaged, than does the Turbo Tuner?

Leftyman

Gold Supporting Member
I have had a TT for a couple of years now but I purchase a Polytune because the strumming thing interested me. Ultimately, after a side by side test, I sent the Polytune back. I have tried all the pedal tuners out there and in my opinion, the TT is the best. Built like a tank, fast and accurate. The only complaint I would have is the power input can be a little fussy. The TT is more accurate and in my experience was fast than the Polytune. Even being able to strum with the Polytune and see what strings are out of tune, I could still tune quicker with the TT.

I have both. One issue I have with the TT is how incredibly sensitive it is. The strobe rarely seems to stop moving. It always leaves me wondering if I can get a little closer. On a gig, that's been a bit distracting and time consuming. Does anyone else have this issue?

drod2045

I have both. One issue I have with the TT is how incredibly sensitive it is. The strobe rarely seems to stop moving. It always leaves me wondering if I can get a little closer. On a gig, that's been a bit distracting and time consuming. Does anyone else have this issue?
^^I just settle for close enough.
I did too and this very reason is why I kinda "jumped ship." I settled for close enough as well, but then I'd also be out of tune with the band/song. There are many variables there (my guitar itself, others, etc) but I've had that issue in the studio as well. I then had to re-track many parts because when we doubled, the double was in tune but the original was slightly out (but enough to not be "cool").

So it begs the question, if it's mathematically more accurate yet I always settle for close enough, what's the point?

Figaro

Silver Supporting Member
The Turbo Tuner is so sensitive that sometimes it's strobe barely moves to the left or right. But at that point it's still probably more accurate or as accurate as any other tuner.

It seems that the Polytune's multiple string Polyphonic mode isn't really all that accurate so I'm wondering why have it? Do some of you just skip the Polyphonic mode because you can check each individual string faster and more accurately?

Tim Bowen

If I were to buy a Polytune 2 *new in box* at a guitar store, how would I tell that I'd be getting:

a.) a Polytune 2 and not an original model that had been sitting on the shelf for a while (does the box read '2'...?), and

b.) a model with the "new and improved" footswitch

?

charmboy

I hate the tracking on the Polytune and polyphonic mode has been almost entirely inaccurate in my experience. The only advantage for me is the size.

My Turbo Tuner tracks so fast, it beats an untrustworthy poly mode by a longshot in my book.

lp_bruce

Silver Supporting Member
If I were to buy a Polytune 2 *new in box* at a guitar store, how would I tell that I'd be getting:

a.) a Polytune 2 and not an original model that had been sitting on the shelf for a while (does the box read '2'...?), and

b.) a model with the "new and improved" footswitch

?
The Polytune 2 says it is what it is on the box (in a blue circle). Also, the pedals look slightly different (the 2 is on the left).

Peace,

Tim Bowen

The Polytune 2 says it is what it is on the box (in a blue circle). Also, the pedals look slightly different (the 2 is on the left).

Peace,
Thanks a bunch, lp_bruce. Would you happen to know if the "new" switch is on *all* of the '2's, or if the upgrade was made more recently?

Trending Topics

Top Bottom