Turn me into a Shred-GOD

Discussion in 'Playing and Technique' started by JoeinLA, Jul 26, 2006.

1. JoeinLA

JoeinLA Member

Also posted on BaM, but I'm looking for some kind soul to help turn this wannabe guitar player into a shredding maniac. I have 1.5 - 2 hours of practice time a day. Specific exercises, things to practice, time allocation, etc. would be very much appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

2. Kappy

Kappy Member

Learn Paganini's caprices numbers III, V & XXIV. His Moto Perpetuo is another great one. (You can pick them up cheap on sheetmusicplus.com) Bach's Sonatas & Partitas for violin (his 'Cello suites aren't bad either). Then get Paul Gilbert's vids to learn quick licks that'll take years to work up to the same speed he plays them. Then move on to Gambale's stuff.

Have ...er.... fun?

3. countandduke

countandduke Member

It's all down to two people in my book. Shawn Lane and Allan Holdsworth. Shawn is IMOP the scariest player to ever play guitar not to mention what he could do on piano. Check out his stuff with HLS, don't judge him on Powers of Ten. Check out www.lanesblitz.com and check the media section. You have to post something like 5 posts or something and then log in, the media section will then be there......

Scary scary stuff...........

BTW, both of them have instructional videos.....

Chris

PM me for further info if interested.......

4. Kappy

Kappy Member

O my god! Someone just lumped Allan Holdsworth into a shredder category. Take me away from this worthless planet! :D

Really though, AH is so much more than gymnastics-as-performed-on-guitar. He's never once been about the notes per beat that many shredders are. And if you can't tell the difference between the music AH writes and the music of the shredding genre, then you really need to get the wax cleaned out of your ears.

5. countandduke

countandduke Member

The way I look at it, Allan and Shawn kicks ANY "shredders" ass so why bother with the preschool guitar shredding...Maybe you could check out Michael Angelo or better yet how bout C.C. Deville??? Shred man...........yeah.........

I thought you were looking for actual worthwhile guitarists......my bad......

Check out the live Poison guitar solo and start from there.....

6. electronpirate

electronpirate Member

7. PAF

PAF Member

Get someone to transcribe Uli's 4 Seasons for ya =)

8. countandduke

countandduke Member

Start at the top, Shawn Lane. Then realize he was HEAVILY influenced by Holdsworth.

Chris

9. Thwap

Thwap Silver Supporting Member

+1 The Rock discipline video will do it.

10. Ben Furman

Ben Furman Member

You can't learn anything from Shawn's videos other than that you will never in a thousand years of practice be able to play as fast, accurately, and effortlessly as he did. Fun to watch, though. ;)

11. countandduke

countandduke Member

I've learned tons of stuff from the Shawn video, but yes, playing it up to speed is next to impossible. Some of the footage at the beginning is just downright scary!!!

Try also the Speed Kills and Speed Lives by Michael Angelo....

Chris

12. tildeslash

tildeslash Supporting Member

Drink a bottle of beer. Just one. It'll relax you and then practice. Oh and wash your hands before you practice. Your guitar and strings will thank you. They'll stay cleaner.

13. Poppa Stoppa

Poppa Stoppa Member

Interesting question – you have a lot of time at your disposal so make good use of it. Here are a few suggestions:

Buy a notebook.
    Decide where you want your playing to be in 2 years time, write it down, and all the steps you think you need to take and all the styles/tricks/techniques you want to learn. This could include:
    -Rhythm playing – learning to be a killer rhythm player
    -Metronome work & nailing the groove
    -Lead playing
    -Pentatonic work & blues scale
    -Picking technique & pick control
    -Alternate picking
    -Sweeping & economy picking
    -Tapping
    -Theory (your best bet here – study jazz. Good jazz players are basically exceptionally musical shredders)
    -Chord structure and harmony
    -Fast repetitive runs (& other show tricks)
    -Video lessons
    -Transcribing your favourite solos & copying records
    If you can find a good teacher, agree with them what you want to do and get them to help you get there. It will be much quicker.
    Don’t take lessons more frequently that you need to assimilate the content of each.
    Divide your practice sessions into 20 or 30-minute segments and plan your practices a week in advance. Assign a topic to each segment. Write short notes of what you’ve done at the end of each session. Review progress at the end of every week, make sure you are still on track and that you haven’t let yourself wander off the path of where you want to be in 2 years time. Use your notes to remind yourself what you’ve learned & where you are going.
    To avoid injury, make sure you don’t do one thing for hours. Every 20 minutes stretch/flex your hands wrists and fingers to get the blood circulating & avoid RSI.

14. willhutch

willhutch Member

Poppa Stoppa laid out in detail what can be summarized in one word: DISCIPLINE. Learning to play guitar is like losing weight - any plan will work as long as you stick to it.

You'll get a lot of tips on things to do. Here's some things TO AVOID:

1) Avoid Pointless noodling. Use your practice time to grow. Get some jam partners and use that time for noodling. I use backing tracks to practice all the time, but I try to make it a working session where I am adding to my bag of tricks.

2) Avoid sloppy practice and bad habits. Practice makes perfect. If you practice things in a sloppy manner, you will get perfect at playing sloppily (is this a word?). To quote a wise man "Practice does not make perfect. Practicing perfectly makes perfect".

3) Avoid Practicing things you are already good at. It's fun to whiz along playing stuff that is easy for you, but that's not very useful. It's a drag to slog away at stuff that is hard with no signs of progress; But that's where your time pays off.

4) Avoid learning your favorite solos at the expense of learning basics! If you can't play Jingle Bells nicely, you won't be able to play anything by Eddie Van halen. You have to earn the ability to play difficult stuff. You need to build, brick by brick. You've gotta have a foundation before you can have a penthouse suite.

If I could do it all over again, I'd do many things differently. Specifically, I'd avoid all the things I mentioned above. I'd be a real musician now if I had!!

In closing, a final word: the magic is in the picking hand!! Someone on this forum said "The left hand makes a virtuoso. The right hand makes an artist". Be sure you are developing good technique with your picking hand.

Oh, and one second final word: "The more notes you play, the fewer women in the audience". Try to be a musician, not just a guitarist. Getting good technique is great, but there are more powerful aspects of music to master.

Good luck.

15. Noah

Noah Supporting Member

I agree with WillHutch on all points.
    Just my two cents-

First of all don't pay attention to anyone that slams you for wanting to play a certain way. Most musicians can appreciate anyone that works hard to develop a skill, even if it's not their style. I saw that Michael Angelo guy at a guitar clinic in Chicago many years ago, and although I dont' care for his kind of metal music, he was absolutely amazing to watch!!! I went with a friend of mine who played bass with a fairly well known jazz-funk style instrumental group, and he was telling everyone about it for months.

I think the most important part of learning to "Shred" is to play the notes cleanly. I've heard sooooooo many guitarists (even guys that put out unstructional vids) that really thought they were great, but they were too sloppy to take seriously.

Also don't try shredding all the time. Short bursts of really amazing playing are much more exiting than long dragged out solos.

Vinnie Moore, Tony MacApine, Greg Howe, John Petrucci, and Paul Gilbert all have great instructional videos that even a beginner can digest.

Good Luck!

16. countandduke

countandduke Member

Definitely agree that you shouldn't practice what you already know but I would say that it IS a good idea to learn other players solos even note for note if possible as this is often a GREAT way to gain technique but also insight into the why's and how's of playing music which is really the ultimate goal. The main point is to not become the next Yngwie clone.....

I always think it's cool to hear certain influences in players but not an overabundance of one particular style. Eric Johnson has lots of Cream, Hendrix, Beck, Wes, Jerry Reed, but doesn't sound like he is ripping off of any one particular person too much.

Just don't become a Joe Stump.....

Chris

17. gennation

gennation Member

Man, if you have all that time on your hands you should focus on learning to play MUSIC. The shredding will come on it's own.

In a year, or more, you'll have a lot more ammo under your belt, can play in more situations, etc...you may NEVER get to shred level.

Learn to play music, sometimes music has shredding, and sometimes shredding has music...go for the music, it's everywhere :)

18. willhutch

willhutch Member

Word Up!

19. DualRectifier

DualRectifier Silver Supporting Member

This forum is definitely the wrong place to discuss shred. Most posts asking about shred just get ridiculed around here.

You need to go to:

chopsfromhell.com

houseofshred.com

and theshredzone.com

chops from hell alone has months worth of good free lessons available.

20. landru64

landru64 Member

get a gambale video