Turn me on to some LONG solo's

Derwood

Neil Young- Ragged Glory is full of good ones (IMO) especially Love and Only Love
Weld has some good stuff too.

dantedayjob

The Scorpions... anything from the Uli Roth era... Fly To The Rainbow and In Trance have some great ones.. Virgin Killer and Taken By Force are cool too

REO Speedwagon, Gary Richrath's leads on Golden Country and 157 Riverside Ave. on the live You Get What You Play For album are Kill-er

ALL of Rainbow Live In Munich 1977

Santana Blues For Salvador

The Cure, Robert Smith's leads on Killing An Arab are really cool

Joe Wheeler has some great leads on his CDs Rock and Roll and Three

erplander

Richard Thompson - Hard On Me, from Semi-Detached Mock Tudor
Jimi Hendrix - Red House, from the Experience boxed set
Michael Schenker - Rock Bottom, from Strangers in the Night
Kazumi Watanabe - All Beets are Coming, from Mobo II
Trey Anastasio - Stash & Harry Hood, from A Live One or any good live version

Bankston

The LP version of "My Sharona" by the Knack has a VERY cool and very long solo. It builds & builds and BLAMMO!!!

Best guitar solo ever recorded IMO.

--chiba
It certainly is a long solo. Unfortunately, it runs out of ideas pretty quickly. I do like the first 16 bars or so and the way it ends is cool. Pretty boring to play for me.

I'll take the album cut version of Golden Earring's "Twilight Zone" from that era.

Just about any ZZ Top song is going to have a couple of long solos in it.

Also gotta mention "Sweet Child O' Mine" and "November Rain."

Rufer

I'm not going to lie, I haven't read the whole thread. I hope 'Get Me' from Dinosaur Jr. is represented. So good.

pickslide

Silver Supporting Member
I love Hideaway off of Live Cream Vol 2. Another great one is Waiting To Be Offended by The Steepwater Band. Marc Ford from the Black Crowes is on there too and he is the balls! Jimmy Page's Stairway solo from The Song remains The Same is one of my favorites too.

sgmarshall

I agree pretty much with everything here, to me, The Song Remains the Same (No Quarter, Stairway, Dazed and ConfusedO, and Strangers in the Night (esp. Rock Bottom) are perfect examples of how to build a long solo. My favorite solo ever is the Lerxt in Wonderland section of La Villia Strangiato. But the omission of Gary Moore is criminal. I have an old (vinyl) record called "We Want Moore" (live album). Several epic solo's in there, Don't Take me for a Loser, Shapes of Things, End of the World, Empty Rooms...great stuff. All the solos mentioned tell a story, they have a beginning, middle, end and say something, not just wanking. I hear a lot of people talk about Jimmy Page being "sloppy", First off, play a non master Marshall on 3 with no od pedal, hang the guitar to your knees and let me know how you sound. The other thing is (IMHO) that his imagination was beyond his fingers. Most guitar players I know (I'll include myself in this group) have the opposite problem-more chops than imagination.

Flyin' Brian

Silver Supporting Member
Wes Montgomery "No Blues" from Smokin' At The Half Note" 23 choruses of blues in F without a repeated idea.\
Henry Johnson "In A Sentimental Mood" from "At Sea"
Neal Alger "Icarus" form Patricia Barber's "Mythologies"
Neal Alger "Whiteworld" from Patricia Barber's "A Fortnight in France"

Wes Montgomery - "Impressions" here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fXvdU7f-q7I

Last edited:

beckstriad

I'm frosting a cake with a paper knife
Double Platinum Member
Phish- You Enjoy Myself
Robben Ford- Revelation
Warren Haynes-Cortez the Killer and Thorazine Shuffle-Live With A Little Help...
Michael Landau- anything
Allen Hinds- anything
Jimmy Herring- anything done by Project Z.
Frogwings- Croakin' at Toad's album has tons of great building stuff from both Derek Trucks and Jimmy Herring with some cool harmonica work by John Popper.

beckstriad

I'm frosting a cake with a paper knife
Double Platinum Member
I must also add:

Liquid Tension Experiment/ John Petrucci- "Universal Mind" off the first album. Excellent soloing by John Petrucci on guitar and Jordan Rudess on keyboards.

freedom's door

Zappa- "The Torture Never Stops Pt 2" from Best Band You Never Heard In Your Life.
Trower- "Benny Dancer" from Back It Up
Joe Diorio- almost any tune from his live albums Double Take or Live
Steve Vai- there's a really long solo on the last tune from Sex & Religion- don't remember the name of the track
Mike Stern- "Fat Time" from Miles' Man With The Horn

Trending Topics