Turn off cab block in Helix Snapshot?

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by JiveTurkey, Mar 13, 2018.

1. JiveTurkey

JiveTurkey Supporting Member

Honing in on my mega Helix preset
    ( :crazyguy :bong :bonk) with built in synth stuff and normal guitar tone. I want to turn off the cab block going to XLR on the synth snapshots but it isn't cooperating no matter how I try doing it. Am I missing something obvious or is this not an available option currently? Thanks in advance :beer

Last edited: Mar 13, 2018
  2. oldhousescott

oldhousescott Silver Supporting Member

Select the snapshot on which you wish to turn off the cab block. Bypass the cab block so it's OFF. Save the preset. Do this for all the snapshots for which you wish to turn off the cab block.

It sounds like you may have it set to discard changes when changing snapshots. If you set it to keep changes, either through the global settings or the hot-key combination, so that the camera icon is white, then you could set the bypass state for the cab block for each snapshot first and only have to save the preset one time.

JiveTurkey and Guitardave like this.
  3. JiveTurkey

Thanks for the reply! This doesn't work for me for whatever reason. The Cab stays off in every snapshot, whether it's set globally to recall or discard snapshot changes.

4. JiveTurkey

FTR; my expression pedal is turning off cab block perfectly as needed. Disabling it per snapshot (For a different purpose ) is not cooperating .

5. Sascha Franck

Sascha Franck Member

I don't own a Helix, but well, you don't have these two assigned simultaneously, do you? I mean, like snapshots to toggle your IR block and the expression pedal?

6. JiveTurkey

I do and I understand the logic you're about to impart (i think, at least) on the situation and it makes total sense. On my end it makes total sense as well to do what I want to do. At least in my mind :)

I was just trying to combine line 6 legacy synth stuff and my marshall amp tones into one monolithic(phonic?) preset I can stay on and switch from snapshot to snapshot on. Expression pedal enables the GR33 and disables the cab block on the XLR out in every snapshot. When I go to the snapshots using only the Line 6 Legacy synth effects; I don't want the cab block enabled there, either.

If it is a case of not being able to assign expression pedal and snapshot control to the cab block; I'll understand .

7. phil_m

phil_m Supporting Member

Try setting the EXP Position parameter for that expression pedal in the Global Settings menu to "per snapshot".

JiveTurkey likes this.
  8. JiveTurkey

Ill try that this morning, Phil. Thanks!

9. MatchFive

MatchFive Silver Supporting Member

I think cabs and IR's are preset specific and cannot be changed via snapshot.

I tried to give different snapshots different IR's in the same IR block by pressing down the IR select knob and turning. For anything else it will turn white and have a different setting per snapshot, but it doesn't work that way with IR's.

10. JiveTurkey

That was the way it was behaving when I was trying to edit the individual snapshots. It was one way or another but the same on every snapshot. I am all for chalking it up to me trying to do something no one in their right mind would want or need to do; per the usual :anon

11. mbenigni

mbenigni Member

Can you try adding an a/b split at the end of the chain, routing A direct to one output (e.g. 1A) and B through a cab block and then another output (e.g. 1B)? Or is your preset already too complex? If this is doable, the snapshots ought to be able to control that a/b control.

JiveTurkey likes this.
  12. JiveTurkey

That sounds like a challenge :D I'll give your method a go this AM :beer My preset is fairly complex and doing splits are still a little tricky for me ATM.

13. Sascha Franck

Sascha Franck Member

Fwiw, rather meaningless to reply now that Phil has probably given a sufficient answer (which I think will solve your problem, at least partially), but from all I know, the Helix' expression pedal by default acts like some typical synth controllers - which, as you might know, feature something usually called "active sensing". Doesn't mean anything else but that the expression pedals position is permanently read out (or better: Parameters routed to the pedal will always be set to the last registered value), regardless whether you move it or don't. Have it assigned to, say, master volume in two patches and the volume will not be reset to patch value when changing presets but stay as per dictated by the pedal position. Just as, say, the pitch or modulation controllers on a synth.

Fwiw #2, I wish that sort of active sensing would work for MIDI CCs, too (optionally per CC of course). That way one could easily set up a bunch of global controls using an external MIDI knob box.

Whatever, it's as well a nice feature that this can be disabled for the expression pedal when using snapshots. You may however run into other problems that way, should you, for example, have in mind to always be able to quickly switch whatever it is you plan to switch via the pedal (which is what your scenario seems to be like).

14. JiveTurkey

@phil_m exp per snapshot did the trick. Thanks! I was not really sure why one would affect the other (expression pedal and snapshot) but assumed there was some sort of conflict in play. The only caveat (and it's not ah uge one) is I can't engage the loop with the GR33 in the Legacy synth snapshots as it activates the cab block. That's a non-issue as I won't be doing that anyway. Thanks for the help :beer

oldhousescott and mbenigni like this.
  15. Sascha Franck

Sascha Franck Member

See above.

JiveTurkey likes this.