Turner here - we still make the Model 1!

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by R. Turner, May 18, 2011.

1. R. Turner

R. Turner Member

I have gotten a number of emails to me asking if Model 1s are available, if I've gone out of business, etc.

Nothing could be farther from the truth. My small team of wonderful luthiers and I are making more Model 1s than we have in a long time; we've expanded the range of models; and we're very much here in Santa Cruz and happily in business.

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2011
  2. Tone Disciple

Tone Disciple Gold Supporting Member

Hey Rick

I was very glad to see this great looking Bird's Eye Turner on a recent visit to Guitar Sanctuary, a relatively new high end store in McKinney, TX - just north of Dallas. I hope you don't mind me sharing this picture. It is an outstanding looking piece. Glad things are still going well.

www.theguitarsanctuary.com

[​IMG]

Regards

3. Bobby D

Bobby D Member

i saw you at NAMM, and did indeed assume you were still making guitars ;)

4. todd richman

todd richman Senior Member

That is so coincidental that Rick pops out here today. I literally was just checking out the RN6 nylon on the web 3 minutes ago! I want an electric nylon to run through my new L.A. Sound Design rack for some different textures and love the RN6.

5. RGB

RGB Supporting Member

Rick! Good to hear things are happy in Turner-land.

Still craving an RS-12 to go with my RS-6, so, one of these days...:)

6. Dave Klausner

Dave Klausner Member

Not to derail the thread, but I've always been intrigued by the look of camphor burl, but I don't really know anything about the tonal qualities. Rick, how would you describe it?

7. R. Turner

R. Turner Member

Well, the statements that have been publicly made that we are not making the guitars...and the verbal tales told that we're out of business are just hot air. Many of you will know where this is coming from.

8. CharlyG

CharlyG Play It Forward

It seems like that fellow manages to PO most everyone else in the industry at one time or another.

Nuff said...

9. R. Turner

R. Turner Member

The way we are able to use tops and backs like that camphor burl is kind of interesting. It's resawn out of a billet so we can book match it much as we do with acoustic guitar tops and backs. The wood winds up at about 3/32" thick, and I laminate it onto the body core... with a marine grade epoxy in a vacuum membrane press. The wood is able to bend to the 25" radius of the top and back, and what we wind up with is (in engineering terms) a "stressed skin panel" where we gain a great deal of stiffness with very little weight in the guitar body. I started doing this years ago with mahogany bodies, and then tried (I think very successfully) using Western red cedar to make what we now call our "Featherweight" series. This gets the guitar weight down to 6 pounds or under, yet retains sustain and with the cedar, a very airy quality to the tone. Our standard Featherweights now come with figured maple tops and backs, but we've done everything from Brazilian rosewood (spectacular) on through the camphor burl, koa, sycamore, cherry, walnut, etc.

Tonally, it's really the cedar body that dominates...along with the neck construction. With our custom clients, I've learned to question them pretty deeply about what they want out of the guitar tonally. While the core of the sound is the body, there are subtle shadings from all the other wood choices for fingerboard, top and back, and very much with the neck, be it solid mahogany or maple or some combination of laminates. One of my rediscoveries lately is how much I like walnut as a primary neck lamination wood...and it's really beautiful.

In the acoustic guitar world, there is a huge split in people's opinions re. the importance of wood types vs. craftsmanship. I'm in the middle ground...sure, a good luthier can tweak the dimensions and "tune" wood to a desired result...kind of...but I think any of us who build would prefer to start with the best examples of different wood and work with the inherent qualities rather than against those characteristics.

One thing about doing my kind of limited production coupled with a lot of customizing is that I do get to hear the effects of different woods with very consistent craftsmanship over hundreds and hundreds (well, now thousands) of guitars and basses.

10. CharlyG

CharlyG Play It Forward

I'll never forget the first time I heard/saw LB playing the Model1. I was off on a search to find out what it was!

Nice guitar!!!

11. Bobby D

Bobby D Member

the source of those statements is a well known IDIOT who has very little respect from anyone who has been in this industry for more than a few years :bonk

12. Route234

Route234 Member

The Model 1 has always been one of my favorites. Its a beautiful guitar. Its one of the small handful of guitars that made me really take a look at smaller builders.

13. VegasGreg

VegasGreg Member

Well, Rick, one of my best buddies just got an amazing Uke from you...

Seriously, one of the nicest I've ever seen.

14. James

James Member

+1!

The Turner Model 1 is an amazing instrument.

Sorry to hear someone is spreading false rumours about such a brilliant company/builder.

Last edited: May 25, 2011
  15. clemduolian

clemduolian Silver Supporting Member

"Still alive & well..."
    "Getting better all the time..."
    "What a long, strange trip its been..."
    "You ain't seen nothing yet..."

Here's to many more Model 1's, Rens, Compass Roses, basses and whatever else your mind and hands can dream up and realize.

"Long may you run..."

16. R. Turner

R. Turner Member

Clem is right about all that, including "you ain't seen nothing yet".

Working on a couple of Model 1s for the Healdsburg Guitar Festival that should be eye-poppers...and sound great. I'll just say "Very interesting tops and backs..." And that will be both visually and from an engineering standpoint.

17. Tone Disciple

Tone Disciple Gold Supporting Member

Hmmmm. Healdsburg - I may have to go this year!

18. enharmonic

enharmonic Old Growth Gold Supporting Member

One of these days, I'll find a Model T that will be available at the same time as I have the money to get it.

Such a funky, cool guitar!
    :dude

19. ronster

ronster Member

me too!

20. Sam Evans

Sam Evans Compliance Officer Gold Supporting Member

Excellent news from one of my favorite builders.