Turner Model T

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by jackthecat37, Sep 27, 2006.

1. jackthecat37

jackthecat37 Silver Supporting Member

I have a line on a used Turner Model T. Has anyone played one?
    I play probably 90% slide.

2. CBeeper

CBeeper Supporting Member

mindcrypt6 likes this.
  3. clemduolian

clemduolian Silver Supporting Member

I had one of the first Model T's (with a Hipshot Trilogy bridge, highly recomended). Its a great guitar for slide...its a great guitar! That horsehoe pick-up has real mojo and when you pull the tone knob and go straight out...its THE sound. Plus, Rick builds 'em like tanks and he's a good guy.

I say..go for it!:dude

Clem

4. TAVD

TAVD Guitar Player Gold Supporting Member

I've played a few of his electric/acoustic guitars & basses. They're pretty nice but perhaps not quite on par with a few of the builders that post here. The long wait times would keep me from buying a new one but a used one at a decent price is certainly worth a closer look.

5. Mrgearguy

Mrgearguy Member

Those Turners are works of art, and in the right hands can do magical stuff. I've always felt that the feel was too "acoustic" for me, but they are undoubtedly fine instruments.

6. billyguitar

billyguitar Member

I know a guy that had one of his fretless basses. Sounded and looked great!

7. 1after909

1after909 Member

Grab it while you can:AOK Rick and his instruments are hands down the best there is...Don't let it get away...You and your listners will be blown away! If you pass don't tell sonny landreth, tell me. I don't play that much slide....But I'll learn!!!

8. jackthecat37

Looks like a go. Full report and pics when it arrives.

9. 1after909

1after909 Member

Good, smart Kitty! Congrats....We await pics and a tone report...Congrats!:RoCkIn

10. jackthecat37

Mine arrives tommorrow. Paid $900 for a plain mahogany model (no formica). Seemed like a fair price but you don't see them very often so it's hard to tell. Of course a maple capped one just popped up on e-bay. I tried bidding on it too but was immediately outbid. It's at $620 now but hasn't hit the reserve, and I'm done bidding. Don't think I can sneak any guitars into the house for awhile without another one leaving. I'll try to get a report on mine before the auction ends.

11. jackthecat37

Well it arrived. Pretty cool I must admit (pics later). The horseshoe pickup definitely alters your hand position and will take awhile to get used to. It's in great shape for a 9 year old guitar. Fit and finish seem fine and it is definitely solid for a bolt on neck. Now as far as sound...
    I was playing through a SuperChamp with a ten inch speaker which probably didn't help, but initially it was bit like an ice-pick in the forehead.
    Had to turn the treble down all the way on the amp and that helped alot. Great sustain while also being very punchy. Tried it with an old Dyna-Comp and it still had plenty of attack. The tone control wasn't very linear but I seem to like the bypass setting the best anyway. The action needs to be raised a bit and maybe some heavier strings. Overall it's a lot of fun and distinctive.