Turning Bridge Humbucker Around

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by supergenius365, Aug 27, 2006.

1. supergenius365

supergenius365 Silver Supporting Member

Has anybody turned their bridge humbucker around so the pole pieces are away from the bridge and more in the center of the guitar?

Are there any problems with doing this?

I just did it with a Fralin 9.5 on a semi hollowbody and think it sounds great - still treble-y w/out being harsh.

Any input welcome.

Thanks!

2. Giraffecaster

Giraffecaster Member

i remember reading somewhere that seth lover, when asked why the screw poles face outward, replied that it was for looks only. So there's no reason why you couldn't reverse it.

3. CAFeathers

CAFeathers Member

Peter Green flipped the neck pickup around so that the pole pieces were away from the neck. He also flipped the magnet so that the pickups were out of phase when the 3 way switch was in the middle position.
    It's a pretty cool mod, I just did it to my Gibby LP.

4. supergenius365

supergenius365 Silver Supporting Member

I think so. There have always been too much high end on this guitar. The tone knob just makes things dull and flabby sounding when turning it down.

I should mention I have a Duncan Jazz in the neck which is very warm and bass heavy, so most bridge pickups (I've tried 3) are bright sounding in comparison.

Turning it around still gives a lead/brighter tone, just not so harsh.

I was just wondering if there was a problem w/ turning the pickup around.:worried

5. BBQLS1

BBQLS1 Member

Hey if you like it, you like it. Like it's been said before Peter Green had his neck pup that way.

6. Junior

I've done it for years, and I agree it's not as harsh. I think it depends on the harmonics of the guitar itself, and others may get different results, but it worked for me. So did raising the tailpiece.

No problems, although the scews are higher than the studs, so it might cause a problem with palm-muting. I have no cover on my JB, so I turned the screws down below the tops of the bobbins. Problem solved, and better than before.