Turning budget guitars into something special

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by StudioRat320, May 1, 2013.

1. StudioRat320

StudioRat320 Member

Ok, I'm about to go on tour. I have some really nice guitars, but I don't want to worry about them while on the road.

After a bit of searching and youtube watching, I've decided to pick up 4 or 5 Hamer XT guitars. Of course I'll be upgrading the pickups and hardware, but I figured it they would be a lot less money to replace one of them in the event of theft or damage.

Just wondering if there are any of you out there with simular guitars that you've modified and with what results. I have some old pups laying about I can use as well picking up a couple more. TonePros is looking really good for the bridge/tailpiece designed guitars. Not sure what tuners I want. Gonna upgrade the wiring as needed.

Thanks for looking and wish me luck.

2. stormin1155

stormin1155 Member

I have two Hamer XT series and like them a lot. Especially like my Echotone... found myself playing it more than my 335, sold the 335 with no regrets. I replaced the tuners, Wilkenson brass roller bridge, abalone dot markers, chrome top bell knobs, strap locks... Have tried several pickups, and still searching for the right ones.

The other one is a double-cut solid body with Tonerider P-90s.

Other cheap guitars that I have upgraded with good results include a Raven West LP copy that I dropped a set of 490s, Wilkinson brass roller bridge, and Bigsby. Heavy, but plays and sounds great. Also a MIM strat with Benson Texas handwounds and a brass trem block.

Last edited: May 1, 2013
  3. StankApe

StankApe Senior Member

I just asked about gear insurance in the Pub and was told that you can get covered up to $30,000 for like $250 a year. It covers theft and damage. Sounds like a cheaper option than buying some cheap guitars and modding them. Might cost you an extra $100 to get replacement insurance for original sale price, but seems like a pretty good value option. Unless your guitars are hard to replace/vintage or something.

something to consider. (I don't remember the link, but it's in the thread in the pub)

4. StudioRat320

StudioRat320 Member

I do own a couple of vintage guitars, (67 tele, 80 silverburst custom, 79 hamer sunburst), so I figured this would be good for me. I have a couple of other guitars that aren't so old, but IMO are irreplaceable.

I'll check into a few more insurance options, but I'm actually excited about what I can do with these import guitars.

Thanks for the advice.

5. StankApe

StankApe Senior Member

:banana:beer:dude

You are very welcome! (oh and come play Ocean Springs,Ms! look up The Government Street Grocery,I don't know how large a venue your tour is, but that place is a great small venue for touring bands)