Turning Combo Amp Into Head & Cab ?

CA$H FLOW

Silver Supporting Member
I've been thinking about turning my Traynor YGM3 reissue into a head and cab to cut down on the weight and awkward size of the amp.
What are some of the possible issues with doing this ? Would it be bad to have the reverb pan so close to the rest of circuitry ?

Silent Sound

I've been thinking about turning my Traynor YGM3 reissue into a head and cab to cut down on the weight and awkward size of the amp.
What are some of the possible issues with doing this ? Would it be bad to have the reverb pan so close to the rest of circuitry ?
Cost would be the biggest issue. Sometimes the reverb pan doesn't like being so close to the PT, but sometimes it works out alright. You could easily test that out before hand by simply placing the reverb pan right next to it and seeing what happens. It'll increase the weight overall, but decrease the weight per item, obviously. And it'll make one awkward trip turn into two, slightly less awkward trips. Also you may have to have a head cabinet custom built for it, as I can't remember ever seeing an empty YGM3 head cabinet for sale. But I don't own one, so they may be out there. If you change the cabinet dimensions or design, you could change the sounds of the amp. That might be a good or a bad thing.

In my opinion, the better option is to just get a dolly. They come in handy for all kinds of stuff, and it's WAY easier to dolly an amp around that it is to carry a head and cab. And if you get one with big inflatable wheels and a strap, you can even pull it up and down stairs by yourself. I wouldn't ever turn a combo into a head and cab unless I wanted to convert the speaker cab from an open back to a closed back cab. But that's just my opinion.

CA$H FLOW

Silver Supporting Member
Ok, well thats some good info you've provided. I was actually thinking about having both the head and cab custom made.
I guess I have some thinking to do, Thanks!

Trending Topics