Turning off Boss RC 20XL?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by ronin32, Sep 16, 2006.

1. ronin32

ronin32 Member

I just got this pedal today and have a question:confused:
    Is there a way to turn off Boss' RC 20XL like how you would turn off another Boss pedal like a BD-2 or DS-1 by pressing a button or the switch. Ive looked in the book and papers that came with the pedal and it only mentions if you have the pedal running off of batteries, pulling the out cable will turn off the pedal. But I'm using a chain off of a TU-2 w/out batts.

2. BillyK

BillyK Supporting Member

Good question. I don't know. I keep mine in a loop, as it always seems to be on, and I don't want my signal's volume controlled by this looper.

3. ronin32

ronin32 Member

I'm actually wondering how to turn it off completly, like for when I'm done practicing, my other Boss pedals I just click them off, but the Rc20xl's lights are allways on.

4. whoismarykelly

whoismarykelly Oh look! This is a thing I can change!

Its not an effect that you turn on and off, its a recorder that is always in line and you tell it when to record. I keep mine in my loop and I dont have any problems with it affecting tone.

5. nashvillesteve

nashvillesteve Member

If it sees power, it's on.

6. ronin32

ronin32 Member

I'm not worried about tone loss, I'm talking about turning it off to go to bed or work, you know stop playing. So I must have to just keep pulling the plug out of the back. :puh

7. AbstractLunatic

AbstractLunatic Member

flip the switch on the surge protector?

8. ronin32

ronin32 Member

:jo
    I cant belive I didnt think of just doing that!:NUTS
    Thanks

9. BillyK

BillyK Supporting Member

Can't tell if we're goofing around on this point or not, but many of us have a number of items going to a surge protector, so this is not viable.

It's kinda interesting that the RC 20XL is designed like a pedal, meant to be inline with your signal, but you can't turn it off. As I said earlier, I keep mine in a loop, but for those that don't have a loop box, it's inline and "on", controlling your volume and to some degree your tone.

10. nashvillesteve

nashvillesteve Member

My surge protector is my Furman board, with a power strip attached. I usually just leave everything on and unplug the Furman board when I'm done.

11. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

Mine's plugged into a power bar with my practise rig, just flip the switch to shut it off. I think no boss pedal is ever truly off, because when they're on batteries, even in bypass mode they still suck battery juice

12. ronin32

ronin32 Member

Non of my pedals have battries inside of them, they are all daisy chained off of my TU-2. I dont remember were my TU-2 gets plugged into or my amp for that matter.

Edit: I just called Boss and asked them my question, and there is not a way besides unplugging the pedal itself to turn it off.