Turning pedal on and of remotely...

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by gearo999, Dec 21, 2005.

1. gearo999

gearo999 Member

Is it a problem to have 40 feet a cable in the loop of your amp? It seem that moving the pedal board to the front of the stage means you need lots of cable.

Is there a way to leave the pedals near your amp and turn them off and on remotely? Just a trigger....

2. loudboy

loudboy Member

If it's got a momentary relay switch (Boss) you can wire it up so any momentary switch will work. I use a "1/8 mini-jack normalled jack on the body, so the pedal works normally when the remote is unplugged.

I'm not sure that there's an easy way for true bypass pedals.

Loudboy

3. brian marshall

brian marshall Member

The easiest way is to get a switching system. There is a company called axess electronics check out the GRX4. It has basically 4 buffered loops that can be switched remotely via midi... Its easy, but its not really dirt cheap.

As far as the effects loop goes, it really depends on impedances and of course if your ears detect a problem. My main amp has a serial effects loop, and i ran a set up for a while with delay and phaser in the loop. the send had low output impedance and voltage matching, so headroom, and long cable runs werent really a problem, unless i tripped over them... which did happen a couple times at gigs... Although it wasnt as bad as being electrocuted that one time....

Anyways, check out axess... you'll need a midi controler also, so there will still be an extra cable to trip over, but more organized. a rack to put all the stuff in would probably be a good idea... I'd say for $600 you could do it all new... used maybe cheaper... i think the old roland midi board go dirt cheap and a pretty reliable.

One last note... im not sure hes doing them anymore, but Andi at Monkey FX, was doing true bypass remote switching patch bay type things... i think they used cat-5 cable or something. He's in the UK.

4. jaymeister

jaymeister Member

I rack my pedals in a drawer, and control them with a GCX and a midi floorboard. No more than a few feet of cable now.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. suhr_rodney

suhr_rodney Supporting Member

You must be suffering from severe tone loss as a result of the 80 feet of extra cable in your signal path. I suggest doing a quick A/B test by unplugging the effects return cable. This will tell you how bad the tone loss really is, which should help you in deciding how much you want to spend to 'fix' the problem.

6. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

Rack based loopers sound like the solution-anything from the GCX ($$$) to the Kittyhawk ($$) to the Yamaha PLS1 (cheap) controlled by midi.

7. brian marshall

brian marshall Member

haha, that is kinda what i was trying to say.

8. nashvillesteve

nashvillesteve Member

WOBO might have something you'd be interested in. Check http://www.woboge.com (their website might require hitting reload for each page)... the MFX remote controller and patching system might help you out. I was going to use the ProgLooper, but then wound up designing a box that did exactly what I needed for my specific setup. Very cool products. The build quality is great, as well.

9. Tube Guy

Tube Guy Silver Supporting Member

Or you could try a Gig-Rig http://www.thegigrig.com/.

It allows you to have the switching unit separate from the pedal connectors (i.e. switches at the front of stage, connectors by the amp). Only pedals being used are in circuit so there is no tone loss. I'm not sure whether the web site shows this feature but I saw how it was done yesterday by having separate boxes for the internals.

10. Ed Reed

Ed Reed Senior Member

What does this stuff cost?

11. nashvillesteve

nashvillesteve Member

Prog Looper is $249. My custom-designed crazy 12 switch box was $299. Check their website for the link to their ebay store (how they sell internationally for their standard product line). It's got all the prices, as the items are for auction w/ buy it now option.

12. Supertgtr

Supertgtr Member

There's a company called Nobles that makes a low cost loop type box called the ALEX. ($30 approx) This would allow on and off switching of a pedal. What you do with this is connect a momentary switch like a boss FS5L to the Alex to turn the loop on or off. It does this switching by using a relay, so when it's off, it's completely out of the signal path.
    The whole set up would cost about $50!