Turntablist Guitar - New York City - 1/19/2006

Discussion in 'Member Video and Sound Clips' started by Andre LaFosse, Sep 1, 2006.

1. Andre LaFosse

Andre LaFosse Member

(Most of) a show at the 2006 New York Guitar Festival:
    ---------------------------------
    NYC 3.0
    Andre LaFosse Live at The Monkey
    January 19th, 2006

Part 1: Entwined
    http://www.altruistmusic.com/soundfiles/part1.mp3

Part 2: NYC 3.0 -> Serious Drama -> Interference
    http://www.altruistmusic.com/soundfiles/part2.mp3

Part 3: NYC 3.1 -> One Way Street -> The Proposition
    http://www.altruistmusic.com/soundfiles/part3.mp3

Part 4: Signify -> NYC 3.2 -> NYC 3.3
    http://www.altruistmusic.com/soundfiles/part4.mp3

Part 5: NYC 3.4 -> Guilty Party
    http://www.altruistmusic.com/soundfiles/part5.mp3

All selections written/improvised by Andre LaFosse.
    Recorded by Dominic Frasca.
    Post-performance mixing and mastering by Elijah B. Torn and Andre LaFosse.

For this performance, I played a Reverend Rocco electric guitar, through a Vox ToneLab, into an Echoplex Digital Pro controlled by a Digitech PMC-10 MIDI footpedal. No pre-recorded elements or outside sound sources were used. Part 3 contains a post-performance fade-out; Part 2 and Part 4 contain one mid-performance edit each.

Special thanks to David Spelman, Dominic Frasca, Elijah B. Torn, David Torn, Andre Cholmondeley and Cheri Jiosne.

2. Mullet Kingdom

Mullet Kingdom Senior Member

Listening to Entwined right now. It's beautiful. Nicely done.

3. rwe333

rwe333 Supporting Member

Thanks for this - incredible, unique music/playing.

<& thanks to Ken Rosser for hippin' me to your music via his MySpace>

4. drezdin

drezdin Member

Wow, absolutely incredibly beautiful!

5. JiMB

JiMB Member

Beautiful Andre.

6. Kappy

Kappy Member

Very cool stuff. Thanks for posting the links. And welcome to the forum!

7. Sub-D

Sub-D Guest

Thanks for posting those, What a great listen....

8. ivers

ivers Member

Fantastic, creative music, man! Thanks for sharing!

9. KRosser

KRosser Member

One of my favorite guitar players! Amazing ****, as usual...

10. abergdahl

abergdahl Member

GREAT, makes we want to learn looping (maybe I need some playing abilities as well :p ).

inspirational to say the least!!

BTW is there any other looping device besides the Echoplex Digital Pro that could to something similar, or is the Echoplex key for this kind of looping?

Thanks for posting :)

11. Cap'n Fingers

Cap'n Fingers Member

T-Town. Home of street construction hell!
    Very creative and involving. I love anyone who can be different
    and be good at it. Great stuff!

Thanks for posting and don't be a stranger. :AOK

Mike

12. Ed DeGenaro

Ed DeGenaro Supporting Member

Awesome...simply AWESOME!!!!!

13. les

les Gold Supporting Member

Breathtaking! Moving... Inspirational... Simply unbelievable!

Thanks for sharing these clips!

14. Crazyquilt

Crazyquilt Guitar Dad Silver Supporting Member

Came here from the Reverend thread -- and I'm glad I did! Thanks; wonderful music.

15. jimfog

jimfog Senior Member

Really beautiful stuff, Andre.............inspiring.

Not sure if you remember, but I believe we met a few years back when I toured with Bon Lozaga, Happy Rhodes and Caryn Lin under the "Project Lo" name......was more heavily into looping/texturizing back then.......your playing makes me wish I'd stuck with it.

Cheers!

- Jim Fogarty

16. Andre LaFosse

Andre LaFosse Member

Thanks so much for the very kind feedback, folks - and of course, for listening in the first place. It's deeply appreciated.

As Splatt so rightly said, there are a lot of functions and possibilities in the Echoplex that are more or less exclusive to that unit. A few of the more prominent features from the Echoplex can be found in other loopers: the momentary Replace function (basically a punch-in function for as long as you hold down the pedal, and a crucial feature for me personally) is on a few units, as is multiply, feedback, and some other features (though, often, they are not implemented in exactly the same manner as the Echoplex).

The unit's particular combination of functions, however - and more importantly, its design philosophy, aesthetic, and interface - is really exclusive to the Echoplex. There are a few free software emulations out there, which seem to work really well for some folks, but to my knowledge (which admittedly isn't much, when it comes to the software looping world) they don't duplicate every single function that's available in the current hardware Echoplex.

A good looper can be approached like an instrument unto itself. So, just as I'd encourage anyone to play a lot of different kinds of guitars before deciding what they want to own, it's a good idea to try a lot of different loopers out. It seems like almost every one that's out there right now has at least one or two really interesting functions that are more or less unique to it - as well as at least one or two intrinsic "quirks," which can be deal-breakers for some folks.

Try to find ones you can work with in person, do some researching about the relative feature sets and design angles behind different units, listen to music that makes explicit use of them, and see which ones spark an interest for you!

Serious thanks again for all the kind ears and kind words, folks.

17. Andre LaFosse

Andre LaFosse Member

Hi Jim,

I think you may be confusing me with Andre Cholmondeley, an active East Coast guitarist who also loops (and with whom I crashed when I went out for the gig from whence these recordings come). Easiest way to tell the difference: I'm a white guy with glasses and a beard, whereas my East Coast counterpart is a frequently dreadlocked black gentleman with no apparent eyewear.

Cholmondeley may be best known for running the Zappa tribute band Project/Object: http://www.projectobject.com

Lovely fellow and a very fine musician...

Thanks for the words!

18. Priestunes

Priestunes Member

Found Andre's music through the purchase of a used EDP two years ago and he helped change my approach to the guitar forever. These tracks show exactly why he was interviewed in Electronic Musician recently.

19. zerocrossing

zerocrossing Member

s'true... but if you've got a kick ass XP based machine already and a firewire/cardbuss interface check out Mobius http://www.zonemobius.com

It's made me a believer. I don't do nearly the loopnastics that Andre does though... oh yeah, and my playing's not nearly as good. ;) Andre, I know I've been a little critical of your glitchcore stuff in the past, but man these tracks are amazing. Perfect! Perhaps there's another CD by you? Must hit your myspace page...

Also, if you need dedicated hardware that's stereo and more than one loop running at a time, check out The Looperlative. http://www.looperlative.com.

Of course, http://www.loopersdelight is a wealth of information more in depth than we could get here.

zerocrossing

20. John Czajkowski

John Czajkowski Member

I must look into this! Wow! Holly mother of all loops Batman! A very powerful and beautiful statement you are making here. Thanks you so much for posting these clips.