Tutorial on how to mod your UK Guv'nor to Wampler Plextortion specs for more bass.

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by candletears7, Jul 11, 2014.

1. jdel77

jdel77 Member

I guess as a carry on to my distortion shoot out here:
    http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=1453599

AND only because I am hilariously inept when it comes to any kind of Youtubery, here's a few short videos of showing a how-to for what can be done to a vintage UK big box Marshall Guv'nor as far as low end is concerned.

Question - Do you LUV the GUV? Would you like say at least 50% more bass on tap? Do you love how it sounds through a 4x12, but it sounds too thin through your home combo?

PRESENTING...

Mod your Guv to Wampler Plextortion specs!
    Yay! Moar bass! :banana
    Changing 3 components will add around half again as much available low end onto the Guv, so it sounds as punchy and full through a 1x10 combo as it does through a 4x12 cab.

(As stated Brian has laid these and many more mods out on FSB. (This mod ONLY affects the low end. The pedal WILL have as much gain, volume and comparitive mids and highs as before. Just more balls.))

PROPS TO THE WAMP.
    Don't have a GUV? Buy a Wampler! Do have a GUV? Then, here's a visual how to...

(And DON'T flip out at the thought of pillaging a vintage classic pedal - it's THREE capacitors and entirely reversable...just keep your parts on hand.

Roll 'em...

Part 1 of 3

Part 2 of 3

AND

Part 3 of 3

2. Bucksears

Bucksears Silver Supporting Member

Might have to try these tonight on the DIY Guv I built for my cousin.

3. jdel77

jdel77 Member

Do it mate. Makes a big difference!

4. V846

V846 Member

thanks for the tutorial, might give it a try on my old Guv

5. jdel77

jdel77 Member

You're welcome!

6. V846

V846 Member

7. jdel77

jdel77 Member

Weird. Either way the values of the swapped components match the schematic.

8. mflemmer2

mflemmer2 Member

Hello, Candletears7

I'm preparing to do this mod on my Guv'nor, thanks to your 3 part YouTube tutorial. I know this is a bit redundant, but you mention in your video that C5 was a resistor. As you've heard by now, yours wasn't the exception--it's that way on mine too, and other posts I've seen refer to C5 as the "resistor-looking capacitor" (of course, it's obviously a resistor). Besides the C8 someone else pointed out, so are C2, and C12-14 (on mine, at least). I'm wondering if Marshall intentionally made these changes to address certain issues, and simply never issued a revised schematic. Since you've done your mod, have you experienced any problems---specifically, were either the gain, the mids, or the highs affected at all (for better or worse)? Also, have you since heard anything about these inconsistencies between the schematic and the actual circuit?

9. jdel77

jdel77 Member

mflemmer2,

No problem, yep I'm not sure what the deal is with C5. It could be a cap or a resistor (I didn't measure it for either at the time as I matched it up on the schematic and yoinked it out)...
    As for any negative change to other frequency controls - none. Still as much apparent mids and highs, except the bass control now hits where it used to at about 1 or 2 o'clock, with that much more bass to dial in on the control. Much more low end beef than a Rat. It's a great sounding little mod that takes hardly any time and is easily reversed, but I wouldn't know why you'd want to as you can just dial the bass back to a little over midday if needed.
    If you do the mod I'd be interested in your thoughts.
    Cheers!

10. mflemmer2

mflemmer2 Member

Okay, thank you so much for the response. I'm definitely going to do this---I'm not worried about "desecrating" a vintage effect, because I generally don't buy and then sell equipment, unless I REALLY don't like something. Instead, I try to make careful choices and then make the best with what I've got. I did sell a Boss Metal Zone I'd had for around 15 years, but.....let's face it, it was a Metal Zone. I'll probably never sell my Guv, since it may be the only piece of Marshall equipment I'll ever own! My main concern was, if C5 is currently a resistor, putting a cap in it's place might actually change the bandwidth, possibly narrowing it, hence my question about the overall frequency response. However, yours sounds great on the video, and when I froze the screen on your circuit board, the components were exactly the same as mine, resistors and all. I'll let you know when I'm done---thanks again, and I'm eager to hear the result!

11. Improviser

Improviser Member

Not wanting to derail, but does can anyone point me to a source for an original replacement footswitch for a UK Guv'nor?

Thanks in advance

12. Coldacre

Coldacre Member

bit off topic, but can the Guv'nor / DriveMaster etc range be modded for true bypass?
    no technical answers please, as I'm clueless :D

13. jdel77

jdel77 Member

Sure can mate.

14. jdel77

jdel77 Member

Any DPDT switch will work as long as it physically fits the hole.

15. Coldacre

Coldacre Member

enough of the technical mumbo jumbo.... keep it sample man!

;)

(thanks)

16. mflemmer2

mflemmer2 Member

candletears7,

I did the bass mod we discussed, and it certainly did help a lot. Not only is there more range with the bass knob now, but to my ears the overall sound is more amp-like than before. I guess you could say it now has more depth, and the low frequencies sound more natural. I have a 2x12 combo, with Eminence CV-75 speakers (think Celestion Vintage 30 without the high mid spike), and it has a fair amount of thump, but the thump was reduced when using the Guv'nor---not any more. Thanks a lot---as you said in your video, it was already a killer pedal, but it just got KILLERER!

17. Belmont

Belmont Member

I had an original Guv'nor a few years ago, never really bonded with it.
    I picked up a cheap Guv'nor II Plus (the extremely repeat, EXTREMELY ugly) newer version.
    the new has a ton ( a TON) of bottom end, seems they addressed this lack of bottom issue maybe?
    anyway it has a nice 4x12ish thunk to it, it's not as nice looking but I think it sounds better (to me).

18. mflemmer2

mflemmer2 Member

I've read in a number of places that the problem with the GV2 is the opposite of the problem with the original Guv'nor. The original didn't have enough bass (unless you play through a 4x12 cabinet), and the GV2 is a bit TOO dark, lacking some high end. Of course, you can leave the treble control maxed, but check out the mod in the link below. It only involves one capacitor (C22) and brightens it up considerably, without losing any low end. Unless, of course, you're perfectly happy with it already.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X3NV8risaTw

19. Belmont

Belmont Member

I will definitely try that, very cool thanks!
    I find it doesn't do low gain well either, possibly because it's too dark.
    I could however dial in a JCM800ish mid gain crunch that very few pedals I've heard could match.
    sorry for the highjack op, just wanted to point out the little brother of the Guv'nor.

20. BluesHarp

BluesHarp Member

I really like the original Guvnor as it is.. I think at loud stage volumes that adding too much bass would
    turn it into mud and compete with the bass player on his freq range, but thats just me!

Im sure bedroom players or modern music styles may want this mod.. but if it was fine for Gary Moore, rip..

Seegs likes this.