• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Tuttle 60's S Build (BUILD NOW FINISHED)

good soil digital

Silver Supporting Member
*** Scroll down a few posts to see completed pics***

After an interesting few months of guitar trading, buying, and selling trying to find the right pieces, I decided to sell off all the guitars I had and keep one great tele and find a great matching strat.

After comparing some great builders, I just had a good feeling about Michael Tuttle. I ordered a 60's style strat about a month ago and today, Michael was gracious enough to let me come up to his shop and pick the neck I wanted.

While I was up there he gave me a tour of the shop and let me see my rough sanded body as well.

I'm super excited and can't wait to get the finished product.

I fell in love with this madagascar rosewood neck.

and here is a pic of the body. I'm going three single coils but have it double routed for a humbucker in the bridge should I decide to go that route later.

It was super cool to meet Michael and get a chance to see my guitar in process.

Last edited:

Trebor Renkluaf

I was hit by a parked car, what's your excuse?
Gold Supporting Member
Congrats! You're gonna love it. One of these day's I'm gonna have to make the drive north to visit Michael's shop.

Pa'ani

Silver Supporting Member
Congratulations on your new Tuttle 60's Build!
I totally agree with you about Michael Tuttle, I had a chance to meet him several months ago with a buddy who had a refret and neck refinish. He also gave us a cool tour of his workshop and had a opportunity to see some of his builds in different stages.
His necks are just awesome and feel superb. In the near future, I will be ordering a Tuttle Tele in some configuration...

SKYHIGH

Congrats!

Share rest of the specs with us.
Is that alder or ash body?
Pickup?
Bridge?
Neck shape?
Color?

good soil digital

Silver Supporting Member
Thanks guys! I seriously can't wait to get the email that its done.

As far as specs:

- It's a 2 piece alder body. Weight is 4.2 lbs. He had a few lighter bodies and a couple heavier, but after talking with him I felt really good about the 4.2

- pickups are going to be michael's custom wounds at first. when i first ordered the guitar i thought michael was using dimarzio's so i got on the list for some ron ellis pups. after learning he is now winding his own, i'm excited to try them out.

- callaham bridge

- neck is a nice thick c with an oil finish and madagascar rosewood board and stainless frets

- color is black w/ parchment or mint guard

I'll keep you posted with any picture updates!

mgrier1

Nice sounding guitar you have spec'ed out there!

I agree: Michael Tuttle guitars are very fine indeed... I had one of his '54 Strats and now have a Tuned-T and they are great guitars that far exceed the cost of entry... Nice resonant woods and build quality can be put up against any other S or T type builder and show well...

Keep the posts coming as you get closer on the build progress...

Best,

Mike

jmcerlain

I have number 5 in the works.... For what I like, Michael is the best I have personally encountered.

Here is one of them in action from the other night.

good soil digital

Silver Supporting Member
Wow! First off, as all the other tuttle threads I've seen on here, this guitar is phenomenal and the build process was fantastic! Michael was very easy to work through things with and he was always quick to return my calls and emails.

I picked her up yesterday afternoon and haven't had a too long with it yet, but off the limited time I've had I know it's staying around.

Thought I'd post a few pics and write up a review a little later this week after I have a bit more time with it.

my modest quiver

Bobby D

all i can say is that you will LOVE the fretwork -- the guitar i am playing right now has stainless steel frets that were installed and finished to perfection by Tuttle -- and it plays like butter :banana

Stu/Fat Sound

Looks great!! Did some of the fingerboard figuring disappear or is the angle/lighting of the finished shots?

I've played a few of Michael's Strat-style guitars and spent several days with a 60's style of his.......great guitars.

Michael's got the knack.

Enjoy!

good soil digital

Silver Supporting Member
Stu/Fat Sound said:
Looks great!! Did some of the fingerboard figuring disappear or is the angle/lighting of the finished shots?
Its my poor photography skills, combined with bad lighting and eager to get the pics up :)

It is a bit less pronounced though once you get the frets and strings on.

Stu/Fat Sound

Its my poor photography skills, combined with bad lighting and eager to get the pics up :)

It is a bit less pronounced though once you get the frets and strings on.
Cool because in the first set of photos I was really digging the grain pattern and coloration of that piece of Mad. Loads of character....Very nice!

gdcx

Gold Supporting Member
Looks GREAT.

I am sure that it plays and sounds amazing as well.

Enjoy!

Greg

tdarian

Platinum Supporting Member
That's awesome! Michael refretted my 4 PRS guitars, and will likely have my new R7 at some not too distant time for the same treatment. One of these days I'd really like to get one of his builds. Great guy, too!

Noticed you are in OC. Same here, Yorba Linda.

Trending Topics