TV Front Tweed Covering Guide

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by echidna, Feb 21, 2012.

1. echidna

echidna Member

Can anyone point me towards a guide on how to cover a TV Front style tweed cabinet.

2. kevmin

kevmin Supporting Member

I have never found a guide, but I have done several.

You do the front face first. You will need to make several small cuts behind the rounded edges of the speaker opening to be able to follow that contour nice and tight. You do the outside corners very much like a any other cabinet. There are lots of tutorials on how to cut the outside corners to fit exactly.

Next you do the top, this will cover the overlap of the top of the front panel and extend down the sides and tuck in the inside back of the top of the amp.

Next you do each side and this part is really crucial. You need to make sure that all of the tweed you are overlapping is straight and overlaps the same amount: the front face piece and the top piece. Because you will see the lines where the pieces overlap and you want those to all match and follow the contours of the cabinet shape. Your side pieces go under the amp a couple of inches.

The last piece is the bottom panel. It overlaps the side pieces that tuck under. You want all of the panels to match up so that they cover the front panel in a perfect line that follows the perimeter of the amp's front edge.

Of course, you then have the two back panels, but they are pretty easy to do.

I suggest this glue, but shop around for the best price. I got mine from Amazon: http://compare.ebay.com/like/360021569910?var=lv&ltyp=AllFixedPriceItemTypes&var=sbar

Here is a picture that may help to make these instructions clearer. You can always PM me. I am sure there are others here who have done this too.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 23, 2012
  3. echidna

echidna Member

Kevman, thanks very much for this. It was the outside corners and the order of which tweed pieces to put on first that i needed and you have explained it perfectly. You should do a You Tube video.

Much appreciated.