• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

TV JONES in a Cabronita

IanWilburn

Hey,

I'm looking to purchase a relic'd Cabronita Telecaster from one of the following companies : Palir, Rock 'n' Roll Relics, King Bee Guitars, Whitfill Guitars, Danocaster - which company to choose is probably going to be another topic that I start.

With that said, I'm struggling between just a bridge p/u because it looks so cool (TVJ Classic) and I already have a Nashville Deluxe Tele covering typical Tele tones, or including a neck p/u as well. If I go with a neck pickup, I was thinking about the new Starwood Tele neck p/u from TVJ, because it's single coil and retains (more or less) the open, throaty nature of Fender neck p/u's, which I like.

I love Filter'trons and the chimey, sparkley clarity and growl they give. I'm wondering if the Starwood would be able to produce SOME of that in conjunction with the Classic in the bridge and if others think this may be a good overall combo.

I know I could stick another Filter'tron in the neck, but that ain't as pretty, and it's not the same as a single coil type pickup.

cap10kirk

Dynasonic neck and Brian Setzer signature Filtertron in the bridge would be the route I'd go, if it were to have a neck pickup. But, I much prefer to only have the bridge pickup...I never use neck pickups, don't like the tone.

Waxhead

Hey,

I'm looking to purchase a relic'd Cabronita Telecaster from one of the following companies : Palir, Rock 'n' Roll Relics, King Bee Guitars, Whitfill Guitars, Danocaster - which company to choose is probably going to be another topic that I start.

With that said, I'm struggling between just a bridge p/u because it looks so cool (TVJ Classic) and I already have a Nashville Deluxe Tele covering typical Tele tones, or including a neck p/u as well. If I go with a neck pickup, I was thinking about the new Starwood Tele neck p/u from TVJ, because it's single coil and retains (more or less) the open, throaty nature of Fender neck p/u's, which I like.

I love Filter'trons and the chimey, sparkley clarity and growl they give. I'm wondering if the Starwood would be able to produce SOME of that in conjunction with the Classic in the bridge and if others think this may be a good overall combo.

I know I could stick another Filter'tron in the neck, but that ain't as pretty, and it's not the same as a single coil type pickup.
ahh rather than telling you to choose different pups I'll try to help you.
I think the best person to answer your Qs is Tom Jones himself.

I've emailed him lotsa times about his different pups and he's always provided honest, excellent and fast replies.
The pup combo you're considering is very rare in your guitar so I doubt you'll get any useful responses from people here who have actually played one.
That's why I think TV Jones is the best guy to ask :)

doesitmatter

I have a tv Jones classic in the neck and the stock tele pickup in the bridge. It's my favorite combination.

Waxhead

I have a tv Jones classic in the neck and the stock tele pickup in the bridge. It's my favorite combination.
Great but your talking about different pups in a different guitar.
Ian is

"looking to purchase a relic'd Cabronita Telecaster from one of the following companies : Palir, Rock 'n' Roll Relics, King Bee Guitars, Whitfill Guitars, Danocaster" fitted with ....... a Starwood Tele neck p/u from TVJ and a TV Jones Classic in bridge :)

Bossanova

Gold Supporting Member
Great but your talking about different pups in a different guitar.
Ian is

"looking to purchase a relic'd Cabronita Telecaster from one of the following companies : Palir, Rock 'n' Roll Relics, King Bee Guitars, Whitfill Guitars, Danocaster" fitted with ....... a Starwood Tele neck p/u from TVJ and a TV Jones Classic in bridge :)
I drive a Scion. I like it OK.

Bossanova

Gold Supporting Member
Hey,

If you build an esquire, you can rout the body for a neck pickup and have 2 pickguards, one with a hole for the pickup and one without. That way, you can switch back and forth between the 2 and see what you prefer.

grak

I have a Cabronita style with a powertron plus and a graphtec ghost piezo pickup.....
[/URL][/IMG]

IanWilburn

If you build an esquire, you can rout the body for a neck pickup and have 2 pickguards, one with a hole for the pickup and one without. That way, you can switch back and forth between the 2 and see what you prefer.
Good idea. I thought about that, but wanted to really keep the cab style Pickguard (which would show the neck area open). I did see a Pickguard style that really resembled the Cabronita except an arm of the guard was designed to reach up and cover the neck pickup area. I may consider going this route with a black Pickguard.

The more I think about it, the less it is bothering me to have an open pickup route. Keith Urban has a white Tele which he took the guard off of and I actually LOVE the way it looks, cavities and all. I'll probably include the neck pickup with the option to just take it out at leisure.

Thanks y'all. I'm an external processor, so this stuff helps.

Ian

ldizzle

Silver Supporting Member
My go-to guitar is a protocaster cab with a tv jones in the bridge. Just a great, versatile guitar.

sunkidd

Gold Supporting Member
This is what I like in mine...TV Jones Classics....

6120 with a Dynasonic in neck and TV Jones Classic in bridge, made to fit a Dynasonic pickup bezel...

Joe L

Silver Supporting Member
View media item 24396View media item 15198
Good idea. I thought about that, but wanted to really keep the cab style Pickguard (which would show the neck area open). I did see a Pickguard style that really resembled the Cabronita except an arm of the guard was designed to reach up and cover the neck pickup area. I may consider going this route with a black Pickguard.

The more I think about it, the less it is bothering me to have an open pickup route. Keith Urban has a white Tele which he took the guard off of and I actually LOVE the way it looks, cavities and all. I'll probably include the neck pickup with the option to just take it out at leisure.

Thanks y'all. I'm an external processor, so this stuff helps.

Ian
I initially had a smaller Cab style pickguard, then decided on a a fuller pickguard sort of a variation to a standard Tele guard. But I did want it a tad different since this is a custom guitar.

Binaural

Silver Supporting Member
I have two Cabronitas, one with TV Jones Classic in the neck and a Classic Plus in the bridge, outstanding combo. The other has TV Jones Powertrons in both positions, it is equally as good, but a bit darker with more growl in the tone overall, either combo is a winner.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom