TV Jones in a SG

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by saucyjack, Sep 3, 2008.

1. saucyjack

saucyjack Member

So I've got notion to put some TV Jones pups in my SG Classic(which has p-90s).I love the P-90s but would love something with a bit less hum and a bit thicker sound.
    The TV Jones in p-90 mount look interesting.

I'm thinking maybe the Powertrons?
    Anyone used the TV Jones in a SG?

2. soulohio

soulohio Member

i'll tell ya what i did try...one of those GFS Liverpool retrotron pickups in a solid body Fender toronado and man it sounded like ass..too hot muddy and just a bad match...i hear they sound good in hollow body guitars but the tv jones is a higher quality pickup.

3. saucyjack

saucyjack Member

4. saucyjack

saucyjack Member

5. FrankieSixxxgun

FrankieSixxxgun Member

Never used 'em in an SG but I have a set of TV Classics that I bought and stuck in my Tennessee Rose. Holy crap are they good pickups! I bet they'd sound awesome in an SG with that nice thin body. They sound incredibly rock and roll in my Tenny.

6. PedalFreak

PedalFreak Supporting Member

If you do it, let me know how you like it. I've been thinking about that for quite awhile too, a SG with TV Jones.

7. CitizenCain

CitizenCain Member

I had a thought that my LP Mahogany Studio, with its heavily chambered body, probably isn't much different now than a Duo Jet. I'm itching to throw a B3 Bigsby on it and some TV Jones to try that idea out :D

8. soulohio

soulohio Member

that's probably young'uns trying all these crazy ideas...they'll try anything even dangerous ideas like these...

9. saucyjack

saucyjack Member

I'm about to pull the trigger.

I talked with TV and he recommened Powertron Neck and either Powertron or Classic plus bridge.

I love the p-90s but would love to get a hybrid of p-90 crossed with a sweet humbucker.

10. saucyjack

saucyjack Member

Now thinking about keeping my P-90 neck and going with a Classic plus or Powertron bridge for the sg.

Anyone have any idea about which TV Jones would pair well,volume/output wise,with a neck P-90 and not overpower it?

11. saucyjack

saucyjack Member

12. JimmyR

JimmyR Member

I don't think a Power'tron would overpower a P90. They're still not super hi-gain pickups. I would suggest the Power'tron over a Classic +.

I am a huge fan of TV Jones. But I once tried a TV Classic in a Les Paul and it was nothing special, unlike how they sound in a 6120. The TV Classic is an awesome pickup for a Gretsch, but I didn't find it particularly inspiring in a LP. Now if you want sweet P90 meets HB tones, how about a Fralin P92? One of my favourite pickups ever in a Gibson style guitar. No hum, lots of sweet definition and the ability to roar if you need it to. I think it would sound awesome in an SG.

In my 6120 I really like a Power'tron in the neck and a classic in the bridge. It's kinda the opposite to how everyone else does it but I like the warmer fatness of the PT in the neck with the sublime twang of the classic in the bridge.

13. Orren

Orren Member

TV Jones pickups are my current favorites! :AOK

Orren

14. ghost

ghost Member

also looking at TV J's for Ibanez hollowbody- moved originial post to it's own thread

Last edited: Sep 8, 2008
  15. fieldhdj

fieldhdj Member

I've got a 5120 with a TVJ Magna'tron in the bridge paired with a P90 in the neck. The P90 is a Fralin 15% underwound. It is a killer combination.

16. soulohio

soulohio Member

i like these idears about the TVJ's in gretsch guitars...i want a 6120 and will have TV jones pickups in there...

17. saucyjack

saucyjack Member

Fralin sounds cool but with The Tv Jones just drop the pups in.No routing necessary.
    The Powertron bridge sounds like it would work.

18. TaZMaNiO

TaZMaNiO Senior Member

GFS retrotrons are a COMPLETELY different animal that TV Jones :messedup

19. Creamy

Creamy Member

You bring up a good point. TV's do not have as high an output as most P90 and humbucker types. You are definately better off getting a set of TV's than just one. The have an extra growl and less bottom than humbuckers. I put a Powerton in the bridge of my LP and really dig the sound. Switching between treble and rhythm PUs while playing sounds off. But switching between treble and both or rhythm and both PUs sounds good.

20. saucyjack

saucyjack Member

Looks like I'm going with a Powertron bridge unless someone talks me into the Classic plus