TV Jones PUP's

joek86

Silver Supporting Member
Can anybody comment on these? What type of amp are you using them with, and what stye of music?

Joe

enharmonic

Old Growth
Platinum Supporting Member
They're incredible pickups. I have used them as replacements in a Gretsch, in a Les Paul (TV-Trons...humbucker-sized trons), and currently have a set in one of my Mcinturff's. If you need the Filtertron sound, there's nothing that compares.

Mike Duncan

Staff member
I've got them stock in my 6120RHH. They are amazing sounding humbuckers...nothing else really sounds like them. I've been using a Fender Blues DeVille and Blues DeLuxe and they sound great.

Type of music - Rockabilly!!!

Mike

USAgent

I've got a set in my Gretsch 6120. Big improvment over the stock pickups, they are fantastic pickups. Use them with a Fender Deluxe, mainly Chet Atkins and Rockabilly.

Roe

tvclassic bridge pu - the best pickup you can buy. The best 120$ I've ever spent. Perfect for rockabilly, hard rock (malcolm young), alt country, beatles type pop, the who type r&b; very good for blues and rock - even a bit of funk.

The neck pu however is a little bit muddy on the bass strings - try a magnatron neck pu instead.

1-Take-Wonder

Could someone be a bit more specific in terms of the improvement over newer stock Gretsch filtertrons? I've been considering dropping a set in my Country Classic but honestly I'm pretty happy with the tone as is, just wondering what I'm missing.

Roe

1-Take-Wonder said:
Could someone be a bit more specific in terms of the improvement over newer stock Gretsch filtertrons? I've been considering dropping a set in my Country Classic but honestly I'm pretty happy with the tone as is, just wondering what I'm missing.
the difference won't be huge. This has been covered extensively on the gretschpages.

Karmateria

Roe said:
tvclassic bridge pu - the best pickup you can buy. The best 120$ I've ever spent.
I've also wondered about custom ordering a guitar with those. I used to have a Tennesean. Didn't really "get" it at the time, and now wish I'd kept it. Maybe it was the right thing to do then... so I could get one of these?
Coolness X3:

Kiwi

Gold Supporting Member
1-Take-Wonder said:
The point of replacement pickups in Gretsches was to get alnicos in there, instead of stock ceramics. Newer (FMIC) Gretsch guitars come stock with alnicos now, so the difference is not as pronounced as pre-FMIC ceramics.

To complicate matters more ... some of the pre-FMIC Gretsches did come with factory alnico pickups. 6114 New Jet and the Setzer 6120s were among those.

If you're happy with your sound, keep it as is.

Kiwi

Roe

Karmateria said:
I have heard that some new guitars from Gretsch are actually available with the TV jones pickups?

That's correct - except the new bo diddley/zz top model, they're only highend hollowbodies (like the setzer models aND the 6122-1959 [chet atkins].

Trending Topics