TV Jones T-Armonds: Yes they can -- with clips!

909one

Hey, still haven't taken the plunge on the T-Armond yet.

I measured resistance on my vintage DeArmonds, they come in around 12.25K!

Anyone have any measurements on the new T-Armonds?
Anyone compared them to vintage DeArmonds?

Last edited:

smiert spionam

Silver Supporting Member
Hey new T-Armond guys...
Last week I got a vintage Guild Starfire with DeArmonds.
The pickups are amazing sounding... but highly microphonic. I can't play loud. :(
Thinking about getting a T-Armond for the bridge pickup at least, I only usually play loud in that position anyway. I tried contacting TV-jones and have gotten no response... can you guys tell me if your T-Armonds are wax potted? I assume they are, but I just want to make sure before buying. You haven't had an issues with microphonic feedback?

You can wax pot the originals -- it's not that tough, or you could have a shop do them.

909one

You can wax pot the originals -- it's not that tough, or you could have a shop do them.

yeah, i have been toying with this idea and even posted about it and the overwhelming majority of people have said its a bad idea to do this to vintage dearmonds. i would prefer to do this because its cheap but i don't want to ruin the pickup.

dead mike

vintage deArmonds can be wound as high as 15+k, there crazy powerfull
SD dynas come in at 11.7 k (or whatever you want them wound)
TVJ are around 10.5k

im thinking if your going to go for less feedback go with less resistance so TVJ would be my pic and they're half the price of SD's.

or find a set of deArmond 2000s. there not as punchy or boomy as dyna 200s and are stock around 7.5K. the 2000s are great pups for twang, swing or western style music imo

909one

vintage deArmonds can be wound as high as 15+k, there crazy powerfull
SD dynas come in at 11.7 k (or whatever you want them wound)
TVJ are around 10.5k

im thinking if your going to go for less feedback go with less resistance so TVJ would be my pic and they're half the price of SD's.

or find a set of deArmond 2000s. there not as punchy or boomy as dyna 200s and are stock around 7.5K. the 2000s are great pups for twang, swing or western style music imo

Ok, I am still confused about this deArmond 2000 vs. 2k thing. Are the 2000's the same thing as the current reissue Gretsch Dyna's?

dead mike

it can be confusing for sure
200s are "real dynasonics"
2000s are/were available in newer electromatic gretschs, dearmond guitars and guilds
2ks are also dearmonds pups but built like a P90 and way thicker in sound than 200s or 2000s.
new gretsch dynasonics have less output and and have less "range/punch" than a vintage Dynasonic like in the old Guilds and Gretschs and are built (i believe) a little different (maybe magnets) and have less resistance
Seymour Duncan dynas are built like the old ones, pretty much exact replicas
2000s vs 200s - the 200s have more midrange and more bottom

confusing i know.

909one

Anyone know how close the T-Armonds are to the vintage DeArmond 200's?

I love the sound of my vintage DeArmonds but just looking to get rid of the squeal.

2000s are/were available in newer electromatic gretschs, dearmond guitars and guilds
2ks are also dearmonds pups but built like a P90 and way thicker in sound than 200s or 2000s.
new gretsch dynasonics have less output and and have less "range/punch" than a vintage Dynasonic like in the old Guilds and Gretschs and are built (i believe) a little different (maybe magnets) and have less resistance

confusing i know.

ROKY

confusing i know.

I wonder how similiar the T-Armonds are to the 2Ks .. I have a couple
DeArmond guitars with those pups .

smiert spionam

Silver Supporting Member
yeah, i have been toying with this idea and even posted about it and the overwhelming majority of people have said its a bad idea to do this to vintage dearmonds. i would prefer to do this because its cheap but i don't want to ruin the pickup.

I can see how the complicated hardware could make it tricky -- but I've had multiple old pickups potted, with no ill effects. I'd call Lindy Fralin, TV Jones, and/or Jason Lollar, and ask them.

909one

Yes, i actually did get some info from TV Jones, Curtis Novak and Lollar.

TV Jones lightly pots their new T-Armonds, only about 20-30 secs to hold things in place, not enough to saturate the coil though he said.

Curtis recommended just potting the moving parts, but not the coil.

Lollar also recommended potting as well. He pretty much said if the guitar is not usable from microphonics then it really should be done if I want to use it live. He said with the amount of moving parts in there, you have a lot of microphonic activity.

I've watched a few videos on potting pickups, it seems like the easiest thing to do would be to just dip the pickups for abut 20-30 secs.

I can see how the complicated hardware could make it tricky -- but I've had multiple old pickups potted, with no ill effects. I'd call Lindy Fralin, TV Jones, and/or Jason Lollar, and ask them.

surfsup

Joe and Crazy, since you have the Tarmonds and I am thinking about getting a set, I am wondering how the clean sounds?

I don't play rockabilly stuff but I want to stay single coil. I do play blues and rock-reggae, but the TV Classics are a bit too "rock" sounding.

Would I be happy with these? The clips are great but hard to tell with my style of playing.

I am considering the SD Dynas as well. The cost of the SDs is not "double" as some here posted.

A pair of SD Dynas: $420
A pair of TVJ TArms: $315 (chrome covers)

I am also a bit concerned about the comments regarding having to self-pot the pickups. For $300, these should be designed better than that.

I am already a little disappointed in having a $1500+ guitar with thin-sounding stock dynas.

Loobster

Great clips! Great playing.

Have to say I prefer the clips of the stockers, they sound a bit more open and cutting to me, but that's just my taste. When I think of the original DeArmonds, I think twang...

Btw, guy who posted the Tele in this thread, tell me more about it....

Tinman

Great clips! Great playing.

Have to say I prefer the clips of the stockers, they sound a bit more open and cutting to me, but that's just my taste. When I think of the original DeArmonds, I think twang...

Who, me?

Alvis

Cool
I would like to have heard more bridge p/u OD though. (Im assuming only the last 15 seconds or so was the bridge )?

I'm gonna give one a try in the bridge of one of my les pauls.

Back when Fender was givin me stuff (way back in the 20th century) they gave me one of those telesonics ,with the 2k's on it . I recall it was a great rock/pwr pop guitar but maybe it didn't do country so well. Interesting guitar though.kinda wish it had stuck around a bit

Loobster

Those Telesonics were really cool. I remember my uncle had one for a while. I wouldn't mind adding one to the stable.

Alvis

Joe and Crazy, since you have the Tarmonds and I am thinking about getting a set, I am wondering how the clean sounds?

I don't play rockabilly stuff but I want to stay single coil. I do play blues and rock-reggae, but the TV Classics are a bit too "rock" sounding.

IMO,which is worth 2c, Dynasonic style pickups are way more "rock" sounding than Filtertron types.I think the comparisons to P-90s are pretty much on the mark

Maybe HiLo trons are more in your bag. They rock too, but in more of a mid 60s Beatles/Kinks kind of way
Or Robert Nighthawk & his Corvette...then again that's pretty "rock"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oypAbJj-fEs

Alvis

Those Telesonics were really cool. I remember my uncle had one for a while. I wouldn't mind adding one to the stable.

Yeah, I kinda wish I'd been a bit more patient with it. ...Let it find it's place in the roster ,but I got a white 78 SG Custom for it ,that was a good trade

Tinman

Okay. Alder body, Fralin P90 with alnico pole pieces in the neck and of course a new T-Armond in the bridge, obviously a Bigsby, I recessed a Tone Pros TOM into the body to eliminate the need to angle the neck. I used a Warmoth maple neck with an ebony fretboard, '59 Roundback profile. I think that covers it, but I'm happy to provide more info. I made the body. It's supposed to be a Tele/Duo Jet hybrid kind of thing. Most of my attempts to hybridize two guitars into one have not yielded the best results, but this one is a keeper.

thedroid

Has anyone put these in an Electromatic Pro Jet? I tried some p90s in mine but didn't like the results. These seem like they might be just the thing.

Top Bottom