TV Jones TV-HT Hilotrons/ Heard 'em?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Tinman, Aug 4, 2008.

1. Tinman

Tinman Member

The clips sound nice on the website. Anyone have any experience with these? Similar at all to the Dynasonic sound? I know that Magnatrons are supposed to sound like Dynasonics, but I don't particularly agree with that. (but I do like them)

2. Tinman

Tinman Member

:banana:BITCH:banana:BITCH:banana

3. Tinman

Tinman Member

Did I tell you about the time I left neutral feedback for someone on ebay?

4. urlkonig

urlkonig Supporting Member

Hey Tinman - - did you ever hear from anyone on your TV-HT Hilotron question? I'm trying to decide between the HTs and a set of Magnatrons myself, and I'm scouring the board for input....

5. Tinman

Tinman Member

Never heard a thing. There is still hope in my heart.

6. Deville2Rocket

Deville2Rocket Member

If you want that early Beatles George Harrison Gretsch tone, they're probably right up your alley.

7. urlkonig

urlkonig Supporting Member

I talked to TV Jones about this - - he told me to change a few things on my DuoJet before buying new pickups. Specifically, I removed the wooden shims and replaced them with compression rubber, then carefully set the pickup height (between 5/32 and 3/16", depending on the pickups). The difference was astonishing. I would never have believed such small changes would result in such enormous sonic improvements - -but they did.

That said, I'd still like to hear the Magna'trons...

8. Tinman

Tinman Member

I'm actually a member over there, and while its a nice forum, it takes about 2 minutes to load every page, and there wasn't a search function the last time I was there. But, I will have another look.

9. Tinman

Tinman Member

Thanks again. I was just over there the pages loaded quickly.

10. catalinbread

catalinbread Member

I just restored a 64 Gretsch Corvette with TV Classics... Hi-Los would have been more appropriate.
    :BITCH

[​IMG]

11. Waxhead

Waxhead Member

Surfin at Merewether Point, NSW Australia
    I have a Gretsch 6131 with Filtertrons. Have played Gretschs with TV Jones but have never seen or heard Hilotrons. Very rare PUP's. Won't be many people around who've even heard of em, let alone played em - even on the Gretsch board which I hang out in ocasionally. Good luck.

I can tell you from experince that the TV Jones and Filtertrons are very similar. One is not better than the other IMHO. Just a wee bit different.

12. Tinman

Tinman Member

Yep. I have several guitars with various TV Jones pickups. I'm really looking for info on the HiLos. Thanks, though.

13. hipfan

hipfan Member

I'm reviving this old thread because I'm having a TV-HT (Hilotron) dropped into my Les Paul Jr., using TV Jones' new dogear mount. I should have some tone reports in 2-3 weeks.

A strange choice for a LP Jr.? Probably, but I want to see if the oddball combination works out well. I would just install it myself, but it's going to require a little routing of the pickup cavity. The guitar is about 4 years old, and the TV-HT is just a little too deep for the "shelf" in the cavity.

If it doesn't sound right in there, I'll probably replace it with a TV Classic or Supertron.

14. Tinman

Tinman Member

Great! Do you have this done yet?

15. hipfan

hipfan Member

Nope, still impatiently waiting for the guitar to come back from the shop!

16. Tinman

Tinman Member

So, TV is making a dog-ear mount now? I went to the website and couldn't find anything about it. By the way, I went to your band's myspace page. Good stuff. Next time you need to have your guitar operated on, bring it on up to Rockford. I'll get it done while you wait.

17. hipfan

hipfan Member

Tinman - I'll keep that in mind. Thanks. However, Tim Schroeder's shop is on my way to work, so it's ultra-convenient and he does good work. If I'm heading northwest though, I'll definitely look you up.

Thanks for checking out the tunes! We recorded those in our rehearsal space a couple years (holy crap, time flies!) ago. We have a whole bunch of new material to record and play out but can never quite find the time.

Here's a link to the new dogear mount that TV is offering: https://tvjones.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=02-010

It might just be on his webstore site for now, not the main site.

18. hipfan

hipfan Member

The TV-HT is FRIGGIN BADASS in my LP Junior. Very chimey, with an extended top-end compared to any of the P90's I've had in there before. Perfect for Petty-ish rhythm sounds through my AC30.

I'll post pics as soon as Photobucket allows me to log in. Site problems right now...

19. skeeterbuck

skeeterbuck Member

I just saw this thread. I have a set of the TV Hi-Lo trons in my Gretsch 62 Tennessean reissue. They are a wonderful sounding pickup. Very bright and chimey but not harsh. A nice upgrade from the stock pickups which are I think designed by TV Jones, but made in Japan.

My friend has an original 67 Tenny, which I sold to him :bkw (not one of my brightest moves) and I always wanted to a/b them.

P.S. you know that they are single coils? Correct?

20. KCguy

KCguy Member

I have one installed in the neck position of a double jet. It's clean and articulate w/ a little less mids and more high end than the filtertron. Had a TV classic set in there prior. Went back to the stock bridge / HiLo set up.