• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

TV out to monitor speakers: which cables?

arthur rotfeld

Silver Supporting Member
I’m trying to run the output of my TV (has stereo 1/8” out) to some monitor speakers. I’m getting a lot of hum.I suspect this is because I’m running unbalanced cable.

Is there some kind of adapter or way to run from the stereo out to two 1/4 plugs?

arthur rotfeld

Silver Supporting Member
OK, thanks. I can see that being a possibility too.

I wonder what the "audio out" intention is? Where do most people send that signal?

jcn3

Most tvs now have a optical digital output. That's the best way if your monitors can handle it or you have a dac lying around. Most of the time, people are taking the sound out of the tv into a sound bar -- that's the main reason it's there.

Rex Anderson

Is everything plugged in to the same AC outlet? There should not be a ground problem if your monitors and TV are all plugged in to the same AC outlet.

A high quality stereo miniplug to RCA's might help. If you are using an el-cheapo cable, it might have problems.

TV audio out gives you the option of sending the audio from the TV tuner to hi-fi stereo system (or monitors in your case). TV speakers suck-good monitors make TV audio much better.

Last edited:

RustyAxe

Not necessarily. This is what the volume knobs on em are for.. ;)

Sent from my SGH-I777 using Tapatalk
Right. I gave the nominal line level values. Any time the input signal is too low you have to add additional gain. Adding gain to an input with a low signal to noise ratio will cause you to amplify the noise on the input as well as the audio information you want. If an audio device is set to 0db on the VU, the consumer equipment will put out a signal that is about 25% of the pro-audio signal. ( .316V rms vs 1.225V rms). It does matter. Sure you can turn up the output of the consumer device, which will only magnify the noise floor (of the device) along with the signal.

More than you ever wanted to know ... http://www.hometheatershack.com/for...ing-most-pro-audio-equipment-your-system.html

Last edited:

Trending Topics