TV session job backline and guitars - pics.

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by jaywalker, Feb 26, 2008.

1. jaywalker

jaywalker Member

mammoth TV job underway, lots of up and down tuning: here's the gear (from sunday - next week will be even more hectic):

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

and you can hear it on:

http://archiv.markiza.sk/?31337d=24.02.2008&31337p=104

we lost the signal for the first minute.

Got 2 more months to go.
    Going through two sets of strings per guitar per day at the moment.
    Can't wait till we start with the 12 strings.............:roll

2. Chiba

Chiba Gold Supporting Member

That's an impressive pedalboard. I recognize some of the stuff on it, but would you mind giving us a list?

How do you go about keeping noise (from the board) down??

--chiba

3. Ash82

Ash82 Member

How do you cope with all those buffered pedals? Does it effect your sound when they're all turned off in comparison to a direct signal from your guitar?

4. Custom50

Custom50 Member

goodness, that's alot of gear. how many of those guitars get used per show and how many are spares?

5. jaywalker

jaywalker Member

All of them and more get used because we are uptuned and downtuned, plus a spare for every guitar.

There's no signal loss with the board, it's a mix of TB, buffers and millenium/half bypass systems although I was thinking of getting a TB looper to make switching easier. The signal does not run through all the pedals at once, there are two seperate signal paths for acoustic and electric.
    the chain goes:
    1. BOSS NS2
    2.nobels split 4(splitter/buffer): 1 signal to tuner, another to the BOSS AC2, and another to the electric effects
    3 Marshall ED1
    4. TBed dunlop wah
    5. BOSS Vwah (very decent bypass mode)
    6. TS9
    7. Pearl octaver (relay TB)
    8. Marshall drivemaster (TB)
    9.Boss OD3
    10. DOD bifet preamp solo booster
    11. Dano EQ
    12 .EHX small clone (TB)
    13. Yamaha magicstomp
    14. Tremolo/vol pedal
    15. magicstomp 2
    16 BOSS DD3 Japan
    17 BOSS DD3 Taiwan

There are three tuners available on the board.

Amps: 2 x laney VC30

The AC2 goes into another yamaha (not pictured) for 12 string sims and reverbs/mic sims and into the PA.

Real acoustics/mandolin go through the board and then out to the PA via the BOSS A/B.

The last magicstomp has a backup clone of my amps, so if a valve goes down I can switch the signal to the PA and continue the song via the BOSS A/B.

The AC2 and the electric signal can run silmutaneously thanks to the Nobels splitter. monster sound.

6. jaywalker

jaywalker Member

oh, the red one is a BOSS mega distortion that is going to get used for the first time on prime time sunday TV. Just for one song, I am expecting to get hammered for it but the MD wants it.

I'm aiming for the most gain ever in prime time.

7. Kappy

Kappy Member

Is that a lot of reading, or were the tracks worked out in a rehearsal? Do you get to meet any of the actresses/models/dancers/singers? ;)

8. CitizenCain

CitizenCain Member

9. Aj_rocker

Aj_rocker Member

poor tech who has to change the strings for u!!

are u using iso cabs for the Vc-30s??

AJ

10. LesPaulMan

LesPaulMan Member

I didn't see one Les Paul in that rack.... and you call yourself a pro? LOL :JAM

11. jaywalker

jaywalker Member

I had to transcribe 564 songs in 5 different standard keys, most of the songs are 4/5 chorders anyway.
    The biggest handicap was uptuning because the capos we are using are great, but sound quite out of tune on TV.

There is a strict ban on sight reading on stage as the music stands hinder the cameras. we had to learn everything by ear.
    I guess I had (have) it the hardest because I don't know any of the songs we are playing because they are by a famous local band that is totally unknown in the rest of the world.
    I get to meet all the chicks of course.....:dude

I have to change the strings myself as the guy who was sent there for me doesn't know the difference between a bass and a guitar. The lighting and dust effects string life quite dramaticaly so sometimes I do a rehearsal in the morning and then have to change the strings for the show in the afternoon, but that's more to do with sweat and make-up dripping on the strings than anything else.

12. jaywalker

jaywalker Member

The les pauls weren't needed for that show, but I need 3 next week - semitone down, full tone up and standard.

That is just the rack for ONE show: http://archiv.markiza.sk/?31337d=24.02.2008&31337p=104

In two weeks it will be hell, all this plus 12s and mandolins as well as a double neck and a couple of 7s.

Both VC30112s have 2x12 iso cabs.

13. frankencat

frankencat Guitarded Gold Supporting Member

Great gig. Let me know if you need a backup. ;)

14. jaywalker

jaywalker Member

Couldn't find a second guitarist for a month......
    Still need a tech.

15. Nelly

Nelly Member

I'm a guitar tech, the band I work with isn't doing anything till April, so I'm free till then.

Loads of TV show experience in the UK and Europe, as well as theatre, arena and festival gigs.

Mostly do pop stuff, have been with McFly for over 3 years. Have also worked for Melanie C, Ronan Keating, Natasha Bedingfield, Bic Runga, The Pretenders, Travis, and a whole load more.

Let me know if you are interested!

16. crosse79

crosse79 Member

Wow I've played in TV sessions before and I did not even have 1/8th your gear. You my friend earn my respect - in terms of really taking the effort to bring everything on and give your best.

Note: Not to mean those who have little gear aren't giving their best. :)

17. jaywalker

jaywalker Member

Cool!
    I'm not overdoing it for the sake of looking cool or anything, these are the guitars we need for each 3 hour live broadcast.
    For last nights show I only used 4think.

http://archiv.markiza.sk/?31337d=02.03.2008&31337p=104&31337v[]=34449

I liked the cool bit where the cutest contestant snogged our very married keyboard player. The motorbike crash live on stage was an interesting turn.
    I was pissed off last night because of 16 hours of non stop rehearsing and having to transpose some of the material before we went live.

Don't know if I posted it before, but here's an interview (In Slovak but u can see the guitars - both cheap, cheerfull and rare):

http://elan.markiza.sk/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=3874&Itemid=556

I've never had this much gear for a TV job either. More to come next week.

18. jaywalker

jaywalker Member

Aha! just read that!
    You know that's great of you, but unfortunately the budget is tiny. I will let you know how much I got paid after the show finishes!
    I now have a young enthusiastic tech, I wanted to give somebody the chance to experience something this big as opportunities are rare in this particular country, and I like to share knowledge and help young players out wherever possible.

BTW just out of curiosity - going on your vast experience - what do you reckon a tech would get paid for a gig like this where he/she would have to change 16 sets of strings twice a day, plus repairs and stage hand duties?
    Beats me, I've always been a one man show but I'm getting old/lazy!

19. Nelly

Nelly Member

Glad you found someone!

I normally get paid directly by the band/label for TV stuff, as I usually work with specific artists on these shows. Never really work for the TV company.

Most of the UK shows tend to leave house bands to their own devices, but for a situation like yours, where the band is a big part of the show, usually a company like John Henry's provide backline crew. I believe the techs get about €250 a day. The BBC and ITV provide stage hands from in house, who help shifting gear during the day.

That's a pretty full on day restringing all those guitars, stretching the strings in and trying to keep everything in tune in a TV studio! Hope your man gets there early!