TVjones-ing my Tele.

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by benbenben, Sep 8, 2008.

1. benbenben

benbenben Member

I've had my 97' MIA Tele for a couple of years now and I love how it plays and feels. I had it fitted with some SD Antiquities and it has been my staple single coil tone ever since.

That said, just got a K-line relic strat made for me and that will be my primary single coil guitar. I wanna keep my bridge pickup in the tele for that token tele bridge snap but I'm thinking of changing the neck pickup...

What sorta mods would I be looking at to change my neck pup to a TV jones? Routing?

How hard would it be to change Tv jones into the neck and the bridge? Would there still be a "tele" type of sound if i stuck some TV jones in there or would the tele essence be lost?

2. benbenben

benbenben Member

Just realised theres a 'savalas bridge' for the tele to put on the TV jones onto a tele. Anyone had experience with them? I was planning on getting some glendale saddles for my tele... would i still be able to with this TV Jones bridge???

3. oscar100

oscar100 Member

tv jones have great tone - love em

do it:)

4. benbenben

benbenben Member

Bump re: the quality of the tv jones tele guard?

5. TanquerayCowboy

TanquerayCowboy Senior Member

Need to be sure it fits the American bridge specs. I don't think it does.

6. Tinman

Tinman Member

Not really. And if you were able to do it, you may have a mismatch in string spread, especially at the bridge pickup.

7. benbenben

benbenben Member

So i may not even be able to stick it on my guitar.... What other options are there for putting a bigger sized pickup in my bridge position, without compromising that style of tele bridge.

I notice glendale has a humbucker sized bridge however it says it will only fit their pickups.. but they don't have any humbucking pickups?

Comments?

8. mojocaster.com

mojocaster.com Member

I love a TV jones in a Tele :)

[​IMG]

9. benbenben

benbenben Member

Mojo!

I saw your tele when i was looking around for TV-jones'd teles. I love it!

Just wondering how it is with just the neck jones and no bridge.. does that combo work well. Have you ever wanted a TV jones in the bridge too???

10. mojocaster.com

mojocaster.com Member

I have had a Melancon Cajun Gentleman w/ the dual TV Jones, and I loved it. But it also works very well with the Tele bridge. Tele + TV Jones = Match made in Heaven :)

11. LocustXReign

LocustXReign Member

See if you can get a G.E Smith bridge from Fender. My Dad's main working guitar for his whole career was a 68 Tele with a 50's gibson p-90 from a lapsteel in the bridge, and an original PAF in the neck, and he sawed off the his tele bridge and fit it with a spacer so it would stay put.

http://www.fender.com/products//search.php?partno=0118202854

-Dave B

12. benbenben

benbenben Member

How would you go about getting it mounted on there?!

13. LocustXReign

LocustXReign Member

Those screws lurking beneath the saddles seem to do the trick haha ;)

14. benbenben

benbenben Member

Hahah, sorry i was referring to mojo's comment about the TV Jones.

With that G.E. smith bridge, I'm not sure how much I'll like the exposed cavity look? I'd prefer a tele bridge with a larger pickup cut out. Any of these available for standard american teles???

15. LocustXReign

LocustXReign Member

if you do a jones with a mounting ring, then you dont have that issue lol!

16. 62Tele

62Tele Supporting Member

Did this one a few years ago and it's been my favorite tele since. I might be able to answer a couple of your questions.

Unless you have a swimming pool route under your pickguard, you will likely have to route your guitar and pickguard for a Filtertron in the neck. If your pickguard has the adjustment screws for the neck pickup, they are too far apart to be covered by the Filtertron route, but the route does cover the pickup hole otherwise.

The Tele Savalas bridge apparently works only with a four hole (ashtray) tele bridge. It has six saddles so you will have to either drill for the tele saddles or wait a few months - they apparently are coming up with a three saddle version soon. You will have to route your guitar for this pickup as well.

The Filtertrons definitely twang in this format, but they are steel poles so they won't sound exactly like an alnico pickup, but man they sound great. If you want more alnico in the mix, try a Filtertron neck and a Magnatron bridge. I have this set currently in my guitar and it's extremely versatile (and no hum!). I have mine wired with a 500k volume pot and a TBX tone pot which gives it a huge range of tones. It's not the same as a single coil bridge - the bridge tone is rounder and smoother sounding, tele enough though if you already have a single coil guitar. If you want to retain the twang factor, I'd stay clear of the higher output models since they will likely push the mids.

Something to consider - USA custom guitars has all the specs to do a two Filtertron tele with the bridge of your choice. Might be easier to have them make you a body and paint it yourself if you're so inclined.

[​IMG]

17. benbenben

benbenben Member

Hey JGM,

Thanks for that post, that did give me a fair bit of insight... I would not mind waiting for the savalas as the new strat did cost a fair bit for me and I may not be able to get the new bridge, route the guitar and new tv jones pickups as well as it's quite pricey...

I just wanted to get an idea of what I can be expecting... I'm just wondering where you purchased that bridge from? Is it from USACG? Having a 'half' bridge like that... would it take away from that 'tele-ness' of the guitar?

18. mojocaster.com

mojocaster.com Member

19. benbenben

benbenben Member